Leaking Wheel Rim!!!

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi All,

I thought I'd post this up in case others have, what they might think is a slow leaking tyre, but could be a leaking alloy rim.

Everytime we went away I had to put around 10-15 psi into the rear passenger tyre. So I took it to Beaurepaires the other day and they told me it was the alloy rim...pretty common apparently!! During the manufacturing process, tiny pin holes can be created...and hence it leaks :( So they marked it and told me to take it back to Jayco.

IMG_5295.JPG

We are one month out of our warranty period, but when I rang Jayco Bayswater the bloke reckons I'll get a new wheel...I dropped it off today so I'll soon find out if I get a new one under warranty or not!

Cheers James

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Thanks @hamish looks like it been a bit of a problem!! It was good to read one owner in that thread who was just out of warranty and still got a new one...hopefully that will be me soon
Just be polite and explain that this has been happening from new, and also that you have heard this is a common problem. They should look after you.

Reactions: JASA

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I too had the same problem, but mine was still under warrantee & Jayco had no issue with replacing it, but only after they fitted the spare & said job done & I told them to get stuffed.
It now looks like ill have to get what was the spare replaced too as its also losing pressure but not as bad as the original, & there is moisture getting under the clear coat over the polished section turning it a yellowy brown colour, lets see what sort of response I get out of Jayco this time.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
James I know the feeling ours was replaced a little over 12 months now and haven't had a problem since but if I was going on another big trip like we did I will be changing our rims for a set of black steel rims to be on the safe side.

Reactions: JASA

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi All,

Just to let you know...we got a new wheel from Jayco even though we are 4-5 weeks out of warranty. Pretty happy with that :)

IMG_5311.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5304.JPG
    IMG_5304.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
Reactions: 17triton

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
I also took the opportunity to put a protective cover over the wires that control the brakes. They looked a bit dodgy!!

IMG_5305.JPG

I guess that's my first mod :) Now I have to crawl under the van and do the other 3!!! :(

Reactions: 17triton

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Gravity cast alloy wheels are more prone to porosity hence prone to leaking. Tooling is cheaper and in low labour cost countries they are cheap. To reduce porosity manufacturers use pressure casting methods, tooling and equipment is more expensive hence higher wheel cost. Using clear coat on the wheel helps close off the small porosity holes that emerge when the wheel is machined. The wheel might appear ok when it leaves the factory but if the coating starts failing you have a leaker.

Tomorrow I'll check my tyre pressures. If our wheels are cheap gravity castings I suspect there could be a lot of leakers out there.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Gravity cast alloy wheels are more prone to porosity hence prone to leaking. Tooling is cheaper and in low labour cost countries they are cheap. To reduce porosity manufacturers use pressure casting methods, tooling and equipment is more expensive hence higher wheel cost. Using clear coat on the wheel helps close off the small porosity holes that emerge when the wheel is machined. The wheel might appear ok when it leaves the factory but if the coating starts failing you have a leaker.

Tomorrow I'll check my tyre pressures. If our wheels are cheap gravity castings I suspect there could be a lot of leakers out there.

Thanks @Dove Yeah I might check the rest of mine with soapy water, which was what the fella at Beaurepaires did on the one I thought was leaking through the tyre