16' Series Leaking front hinges on fold out bed lid

Rosgold

Apr 24, 2019
NSW
On our 16.49 2012 Expanda, the front bed gets wet in heavy rain! When it’s folded up, not in use!
It appears it’s coming from the hinges??
Is this a common problem?

Brad B

Jul 11, 2017
Northlakes
Pretty sure it is. Our 2012 which we have hopefully just sold has a lot more sealant in hinge than the 2010 we replaced it with.
We also had some leakage in a really heavy downpour with the bed end closed on the 2010. I found some mention of a factory fix of this on here when I searched it up. I have placed more sealant in the hinge end, trying to replicate the later models hinge. So far so good, but haven,t had the same amount of rain so far. A heavy hit with the hose was not enough to cause the problem again. Hoping it has fixed it as we weren't planning on a trip for a while and it was only luck that we noticed the wet mattresses.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Is it possible to silicon on a strip of .... so that it hangs down and covers the hinge when the lid is closed?
Just thinking. Have not experienced the issue ourselves on the 14.44-5 OB (2013)

Dougiestyle

Feb 20, 2021
Valla NSW
Our 2008 does the same, we experienced heavy rain on our last weekend away and water ingress from the hard lid hinges onto the canvas bed ends causing the canvas to sag. Thinking about removing the hard lids and applying a Sikaflex sealant. Any advice would be great.