16' Series Leaking access door

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Had a bit of a disappointment. We thought we should give the panda a really good spring clean. It was grubby inside. Whilst cleaning out the from tunnel boot I noticed mould on the inside of the tunnel boot access door. On closer inspection it looks like it has been leaking for a while and now the lower part of the wall and the small part of th floor are now soft and rotted. . I think the seal is leaking on the door so I can replace it. My concern is the damage and as the van is 5 years old I doubt jayco will cover it. Is there anything I can do to stop it getting worse. It hasn't holed just a little soft in a small patch. I have attached some pics.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Doesn't sound good or look good from in the pics.... Not an expert in timber fixes but had a similar issue with a previous boat I had.

Clean it up as much as you can then dry out the timber as well as you can with whatever heat you can get to it (No not a flame ;) ) Then seal it with some fibreglass resin, bitumastic paint or similar!

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Thinking will have to dry it out, once the new seal goes on i will see if that stops the leak, i have it booked in next week for Jayco to inspect to see if they will fix it as a goodwill claim as we have owned the van since new.
I wil be supposed if they do it as it is 4 years outside warranty, but you never know if you don't ask.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thinking will have to dry it out, once the new seal goes on i will see if that stops the leak, i have it booked in next week for Jayco to inspect to see if they will fix it as a goodwill claim as we have owned the van since new.
I wil be supposed if they do it as it is 4 years outside warranty, but you never know if you don't ask.

Gotta be in it to win it as they say.

Let's us know how it goes!

Reactions: stuartcarr2002

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Good luck @stuartcarr2002 Jayco can suprise you at times. If you have to fix it yourself there is a product available from bunnings that stops the fungal infection in timber which will have set in if you have mold. Need to treat with this first then dry it out and treat as suggested above . The softness in the wall will be the blocking timber but the frame is alloy so there's no real structural issue to be worried about.