Landcruiser Advice

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
Having sadly traded the Navara, i need to set up the new tow car. My apologies in advance for the simple questions.

1. Due to the rear height of the car the hitch needs to drop a long way down, does this present a ok feel when running a WDH?
  2. The standard suspension feels a bit soft (car drops 50mm with 220KG ball weight) and feels spongy when connected. I can push the the suspension up and down 40mm of so quite easily, will standard suspension ok or is an upgrade required? I just don't want the comfort of ride to change because at the moment if really good.
I'm not interested in off road lifts etc and as the car only tows the van a max of 5-6 times a year, standard comfort is important.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Sorry, 2016 Sahara.

If i deflate the airbags i'll get similar ride to standard?
Yes, although you still leave a very small pressure in them. Being a Sahara, it would be worth checking with a suspension expert, I am not sure how airbags go if you have the electronically adjustable hydraulic suspension

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have polyair bags, which I run almost deflated when not towing (5 psi) and when towing inflated to 20 psi which stops any drop in the rear end.

The car feels normal when not inflated

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
I ran stock suspension with air bags until recently - biggest improvement I found was actually replacing the hitch with the Toyota on road hitch, levelled the van nicely and towed so much better.........got to get a new hitch now as the gvm upgrade has thrown it all off level again.

Reactions: dagree

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We have fitted Firestone Airbags and have been running them 12 to 15psi and have found they work well with my single axel Kedron off road van. The air bags firm up the rear end of the LC200 and provide some damping. However, we have decided to get a suspension upgrade with Lovell springs and Aussie Ryder shocks from Ultimate suspension. The suspension upgrade we plan will give no lift to maintain a good tow height. We have the Toyota off road hitch and the van sits almost level with a small drop at front. We use the McHitch auto hitch and no WDH with 220Kg tow ball weight on a single axel van.

The height of the hitch is very important it took a bit of hunting around to get the right height. The off road Toyota hitch works for our van, other vans will be different, but the Toyota hitch is well designed and brings the pivot point close to the tow and the McHitch give a stable solid connection.The main reason for the planned suspension upgrade in the next couple of weeks is the soft feel to the standard Toyota suspension on rough surfaces. The OEM suspension works OK for towing, but in our opinion it is a bit too soft. The upgrade should make good towing even better.

The minimum mod to LC200 suspension in our opinion is a set of airbags either Firestone or Polyair for smooth towing. If $ permit think about upgrading the rear springs to a good quality progressive spring (Lovells, King or Carrolls) and upgrade shocks. If you can afford it get both front and rear done with shocks and springs. It is all about how many $ you are prepared to spend to get a good towing and off road ride.

Reactions: bigcol and Billnjim