Landcruiser 200 towing 22.68 question

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Hi all. Over the weekend I towed our 22.68 OB almost 2000kms. I don't know what is going on but the van seemed to pushed the rear of the 200 all over the road. We weren't as heavily loaded as we didn't have the kids and all their stuff but we had full water tanks and I played with the WDH a few times to see what was happening and what made it better or worse.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on past experiences and remedies that I may be able to try.

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
Hubble,

I had airbags fitted to mine as I felt the rear was a bit soft. Put 25lb in them and with the WDH van tows beaut. Measured ball weight of 265kg for reference.

Mine is a Sahara so not sure if suspension is softer compared to the GXL

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Would the van have been more Tail heavy than normal? I've found the cruiser to be perfect with our 23 basestation and the only time it pushes the cruiser around is when loaded in the rear with no water up the front to balance out.

If the balance of the van isn't different maybe check the cruisers suspension (shocks, assuming of course you have already checked tyre pressure on both car and van)

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Just some info. Mine is a GXL, but fitted with KDSS like the VX and Sahara, still stock springs and shocks... for now.

Thank for the replies so far. What tyre pressures are you all running for 200 amd van?

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Would the van have been more Tail heavy than normal? I've found the cruiser to be perfect with our 23 basestation and the only time it pushes the cruiser around is when loaded in the rear with no water up the front.

I always try to use the rear tank first and when it gets to the lower level on the Drifta I swap the valve to use both tanks.

It didn't seem to be worse one the way home (less water), but I won't discount it at all.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Before you go mucking with suspension upgrades, do some trials with loading differently. My GXL is good with our van at 220kg on the towball. Our vans gvm is only 2200kg. We don't need a wdh with our lovells lift kit.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Dropping my Towball height one hole down on the WDH setup made a huge difference and settled my van down immensely. Had a similar issue but found the slight (very slight) nose down attitude helped. (My air suspension actually levels the car out nicely but it seems a fraction more weight on the towball and front axle is what helped).

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
what was the wind like......................
and the traffic..............

how were the roads...............

sounds funny - but.................................. you never know

Reactions: warren cook