Kayaks on the top.

Stewscl07

Mar 29, 2017
Engadine
Hi everyone,
Looking at purchasing 2 kayaks for the missus and me. Just your stand size for the average nomad. I have a Navara twin cab with Nissan roof racks. Does anyone have any attachment bracket brands or suppliers they have used before? Found a kayak supplier we like but they have limited attachment bracket and advised us to go to a 4x4 outlet. We are planning a trip to Airlie Beach by central QLD then back to Sydney down the coast so would like to have something of good quality.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have a set of Thule kayak carriers but have given up using them as I found it too much trouble inserting them into the racks, positioning them to hold the kayak in the right position. I now just invert the kayak and hold it down with straps.

Reactions: G Daddy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I carry 2 singles or a tandem on top and chucked the carriers as they are a pain the Yaks now go upside down on the roof bars (which are padded) and strapped down easier to put up and get down by myself, have travelled thousands of kms like that with no drama, use a bike lock cable with integrated lock thru drain holes and onto rack to stop light fingers.

Roof Yaks.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
You can get lockable straps from surf shops that go around roof rack there very good @Crusty181 has a navara has carted his all over the place but they gets wet from rain more then anything also @mfexpanda has been known to get his out of the shed to take them for a drive
Ouch @Bluey ... accurate, but a bit harsh. Mine yaks a Hobie, which are flat across the top so designed to lay flat upside down on standard flat roof bars. Ive used the www.roofracksuperstore.com.au for other stuff and found them really good. Large range, including yak stuff, and outlets in Sydney

Stewscl07

Mar 29, 2017
Engadine
I have a set of Thule kayak carriers but have given up using them as I found it too much trouble inserting them into the racks, positioning them to hold the kayak in the right position. I now just invert the kayak and hold it down with straps.
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for late replies but been busy work out of town the last 2 weeks. The kayaks we decided on can be stacked on top of each other. I won't be doing 4x4 with kayaks on top. Again many thanks.

Stewscl07

Mar 29, 2017
Engadine
You can get lockable straps from surf shops that go around roof rack there very good @Crusty181 has a navara has carted his all over the place but they gets wet from rain more then anything also @mfexpanda has been known to get his out of the shed to take them for a drive
My son-in-law and daughter have surf and paddle boards and use the straps you mentioned. Should have spoken to them first. We pick up the kayaks this week finger crossed.

Reactions: Drover and Bluey

Stewscl07

Mar 29, 2017
Engadine
I carry 2 singles or a tandem on top and chucked the carriers as they are a pain the Yaks now go upside down on the roof bars (which are padded) and strapped down easier to put up and get down by myself, have travelled thousands of kms like that with no drama, use a bike lock cable with integrated lock thru drain holes and onto rack to stop light fingers.

View attachment 60147
Thanks Drover, The kayaks we picked can be stacked on top of each other. The people I have talked to since my post have all basically said that the main issue they have is security. People trying pinch their kayaks. I hope the novelty doesn't wear out before the kayaks do!!

Reactions: Drover and Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
My son-in-law and daughter have surf and paddle boards and use the straps you mentioned. Should have spoken to them first. We pick up the kayaks this week finger crossed.
Well at least the straps are lockable and very very hard to cut or break they should hold the theives at bay need a grinder to cut them

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Found an old pic of the Tandem sitting in a cradle on the Jeeperific many moons ago, cradle was a pain to use but kept it out of the way, being so long if on it's gunwhales it got in the way of front vision, later on with the Ute the cradle set up was abandoned.

1524519333189.png