Just Ordered One

Yibbida

Apr 20, 2011
Just Ordered One 18.57.6 OB

Hey there, started getting excited when I read about those who had just purchased an Expanda. We've just ordered an 18.57.6 OB - due end of June / start July. Will attach pic's when it arrives. Plan on heading around Oz for 12 months at the beginning of October with missus and two kids (3yo and 1yo). Might need a pair of those noise cancelling headphones too!

Has anyone ever set up (or seen) a motorbike carrier on the front (draw bar) of a van before?

Cheers

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yibbida, welcome to the forum.....

I am looking at the same van :)

Couple of questions if you don't mind!

1) What options did you go for?
2) if you don't mind would you PM me what you got it for and with which dealer?
3) What are you towing with?

I have seen a few motorbikes on draw bars but firstly what sort of weight are the bike(s) in total and have you asked for the A-Frame to be extended or standard size?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome aboard, Yibbida. Quite a few new vans appearing on the forum so you will be in good company. Keep us posted on where and when you will be in places and you can bet a forum member will be nearby. Good luck with the 'rug rats', I'm sure you will have them under control and they will enjoy travelling.

Somebody had a very modified van shown elswhere on the forum and, as I recall, he had a quad bike on the draw bar, Maybe some one else can point you to the thread.

Paul

Yibbida

Apr 20, 2011
18.57.6 Options

Thanks for the welcome

Options are as follows: awning, privacy screen (for expanda end), solar system provision (cheaper to buy and install own solar panel), wind up tv antenae, control panel (water level and battery voltage), air con, external shower, innerspring mattress, bed converter for dinette and r*ar mount*d bicycl rack. I'll purchase tv and music set up myself (much cheaper and versatile options online). D*al*r also thr*w in brak* controll*r and hos* kit

Towing with 2008 Prado GXL V6 (thirsty I know but w'll b taking it zy).

Bik will b @ 120kg (Prado is fittd with hvy duty springs/shocks and airbags) to handl load

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well done be sure to post up some pics as you go.

As for a bike on the drawbar it can be done. But a thing to consider is that the bike carrier doesnt affect your turning circle when jack knifing the van. Also with the rear door of the Prado would it affect rear vehicle access.

Remember adding 120kg will also have to be taken into consideration to what the payload of the new van is. I have thought about mounting one on my Expanda but the payload isn't much really after filling both the water tanks and 2 9kg gas bottles.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The amount of weight that can be carried for eg, full water tanks, full gas bottles, cuttlery, clothes, food etc.

On the compliance plate the van will have a tare weight which the weight of the van when empty. When it leaves Jayco factory.

Gross weight which is the maximum allowable weight when loaded.

The difference between the 2 is the payload.

My Expanda is approx 1631kg Tare (empty) and gross is 2000kg (loaded) so the payload is only 369kg

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome, I have seen photos of a quad bike as well, i think it was on another forum though.

Sounds like you have a great setup for the big lap, 'Living the dream'!
KC