17' Series Just ordered new 17.56-2 , what solar size should i need???

ozexplorer

Apr 14, 2013
Hi all,
Just ordered our first Expanda 17.56-2. for delivery October 2013. We got the "entertainment pack" tv, radio, antenna, free as a promotion and got these as addons

Extra large stabilser feet
control panel
privacy screens
150l fridge

Pretty basic addons,
Question 1,
I want to know is what watt solar panel people have been using for this size expanda. We will be doing a lot of free camping and already have a 80w, just wondering if that would be enough?????

Question 2,
Postion of the wall mounted tv bracket, where have people mounted ther bracket???

Thanks

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome Ozexplorer.
80w will probably suffice. Depends on what 12v appliances and gadgets you're using.
However if the van is pre-wired for solar I'd put 120w panel on roof and add 2nd battery from get go.
I've got 2x120w on roof and two 110a/h batteries. They're charged by the time I've had breakfast so its a bit of overkill.
Burnsy has similar setup. He's also measured "real" power consumption of all electrical bits. Just search his recent posts. You'll find it very informative.
Free camping we use gas for fridge, HWS and stove. Twin 8kg last a least two weeks (normally about 20 days). 12v powers all inside and outside LEDS, TV, water pump, fans, multiple iPhone and iPad chargings.

TV mounting: on our 18.57.7 its just inside door and is viewable from slideout lounge thru to dining area and front bed. Power etc come via overhead cupboard for neatness (worth thinking about where all cables and leads will go) and secures with strap when travelling.
Im sure some other 17.56 owners out there will give you more practical advice.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
With the tv mount a lot of the 17s have run a block of timber up from the dinette cupboard beside the overhead cupboard and mount their bracket off that. I haven't done it yet but will soon. Approx size of timber was 70x35 hope that helps.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
You may want to ask the salesman about the TV mount.
I was sure that me asking Jayco for TV mount ensured a nice chunk of timber was inserted into the wall to screw to when I ordered mine.

ozexplorer

Apr 14, 2013
Welcome Ozexplorer.
80w will probably suffice. Depends on what 12v appliances and gadgets you're using.
However if the van is pre-wired for solar I'd put 120w panel on roof and add 2nd battery from get go.
I've got 2x120w on roof and two 110a/h batteries. They're charged by the time I've had breakfast so its a bit of overkill.
Burnsy has similar setup. He's also measured "real" power consumption of all electrical bits. Just search his recent posts. You'll find it very informative.
Free camping we use gas for fridge, HWS and stove. Twin 8kg last a least two weeks (normally about 20 days). 12v powers all inside and outside LEDS, TV, water pump, fans, multiple iPhone and iPad chargings.

TV mounting: on our 18.57.7 its just inside door and is viewable from slideout lounge thru to dining area and front bed. Power etc come via overhead cupboard for neatness (worth thinking about where all cables and leads will go) and secures with strap when travelling.
Im sure some other 17.56 owners out there will give you more practical advice.
Thanks, i will check out what you mention about Burnsy.

ozexplorer

Apr 14, 2013
You may want to ask the salesman about the TV mount.
I was sure that me asking Jayco for TV mount ensured a nice chunk of timber was inserted into the wall to screw to when I ordered mine.
Thanks i will chase that up too, have about 5 weeks before the final sign-off.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome ozexplorer, I just stumbled upon this post as I was away last week, and thanks to Xpandafan for referring my post, if you haven't found it search "Amperage for appliances". Like Xpandafan said I also have 2x120 panels and 2x 100 amp batteries. The last 2 trips since installing I've been experimenting on powered sites with mains only running my van fridge and hot water, everything else was running on battery/solar including my 60L waeco.

No problems keeping up but trees are an issue and at times I wasn't charging until 11am. When free camping more times than not you will encounter trees so in your case as you already have a 80W panel maybe supplement with a folding panel so you can chase the sun. This will depend on what you intend to run off your battery, so if your thinking portable fridges then maybe go that way, say with a 120W folding but if not running portable fridge then another roof mount will be plenty.

The other thing I've found is that it would be better if you can angle the roof mounted panels to get early morning or late afternoon sun, something I will now do. Let us know how you go!

Cheers.

Reactions: Xpandafan

ozexplorer

Apr 14, 2013
Welcome ozexplorer, I just stumbled upon this post as I was away last week, and thanks to Xpandafan for referring my post, if you haven't found it search "Amperage for appliances". Like Xpandafan said I also have 2x120 panels and 2x 100 amp batteries. The last 2 trips since installing I've been experimenting on powered sites with mains only running my van fridge and hot water, everything else was running on battery/solar including my 60L waeco.

No problems keeping up but trees are an issue and at times I wasn't charging until 11am. When free camping more times than not you will encounter trees so in your case as you already have a 80W panel maybe supplement with a folding panel so you can chase the sun. This will depend on what you intend to run off your battery, so if your thinking portable fridges then maybe go that way, say with a 120W folding but if not running portable fridge then another roof mount will be plenty.

The other thing I've found is that it would be better if you can angle the roof mounted panels to get early morning or late afternoon sun, something I will now do. Let us know how you go!

Cheers.
Thanks for the info

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Agree with Burnsy and Xpandafan and would defiantly have two batteries if you do a lot of free camping. From memory someone has posted in a previous thread the benefit of having the battery fitted in the factory so weight is included in tare on your plate. Lots of panel threads to have a look at. Spot on Burnsy with the suggestion of a fixed panel and a portable to get best of both worlds. Maybe ask if they can pre wire for an Anderson plug so you just plug and play with a portable panel.
Cheers
greynt

ozexplorer

Apr 14, 2013
Agree with Burnsy and Xpandafan and would defiantly have two batteries if you do a lot of free camping. From memory someone has posted in a previous thread the benefit of having the battery fitted in the factory so weight is included in tare on your plate. Lots of panel threads to have a look at. Spot on Burnsy with the suggestion of a fixed panel and a portable to get best of both worlds. Maybe ask if they can pre wire for an Anderson plug so you just plug and play with a portable panel.
Cheers
greynt
Thanks, that sounds like a good way of doing it.

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
ok my 2 cents worth i have 120 watt and 240 watt solar panel which is mono not a poly whatever they call it,anyhow mono can still work on shady days i have 4 kid so i use on 80 litre waceo fridge freezer as well the 120 watt struggled with this fridge due to running waceo then using solar panel on van for tv lights so on,the 240 watt was perfect wired straight to battery the lights on battery pack reached the hi8ghest and if it rained next day battery would still be charged for another day with the 120 watt wouldnt read battery highest charge and need solar on everyday,i brought solar panel of ebay costing $350 for the 240 watt,if you using the solar just for tv lights charging so on 120 watt will do but you need solar connected everyday as the 240 watt would only need to put on battery every 3 days for these items hoped this helped,having the both solars i have one directly to the waceo fridge freezer and the other to van to charge battery,fridge in van runs on gas hope this helps

ozexplorer

Apr 14, 2013
ok my 2 cents worth i have 120 watt and 240 watt solar panel which is mono not a poly whatever they call it,anyhow mono can still work on shady days i have 4 kid so i use on 80 litre waceo fridge freezer as well the 120 watt struggled with this fridge due to running waceo then using solar panel on van for tv lights so on,the 240 watt was perfect wired straight to battery the lights on battery pack reached the hi8ghest and if it rained next day battery would still be charged for another day with the 120 watt wouldnt read battery highest charge and need solar on everyday,i brought solar panel of ebay costing $350 for the 240 watt,if you using the solar just for tv lights charging so on 120 watt will do but you need solar connected everyday as the 240 watt would only need to put on battery every 3 days for these items hoped this helped,having the both solars i have one directly to the waceo fridge freezer and the other to van to charge battery,fridge in van runs on gas hope this helps
Thanks, that a good bit of information.