Jerry Can Holders on 16.49.3 OB

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi All,

I may be going crazy, but I'm (almost) certain that when we looked at the Expanda 16 series OB models at the Melb Leisurefest last October, there was at least one with a factory fitted Jerry Can holder.
The Jayco dealer we ordered from tells me that they don't put JC holders on the Expandas due to the restricted height under the front bed.
In the end it's no biggy, as I'll probably make some anyway, but I have this image in my mind of the front of one with a JC holder.
On the subject of Jerry Cans, what are people's thoughts about open to the elements vs inside an ali tool box?
I'm already planning to have either a Honda or Yamaha genie and small chainsaw in the box alng with a host of other things that like the smell of an oily rag, so space may be limited anyway.
The way my mind is going, it's going to be bigger than Ben-Hur!
Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: blacky

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
I carry my genie, chainsaw and petrol containers in an ali toolbox. I do have vents in the doors and the floor

IMG_5332.JPG IMG_5334.JPG IMG_5338.JPG

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Thanks JASA,

That's a great size box, and at a guess, not an off the shelf item. Can I ask where you got it and how much you paid?
Also an interesting hitch/coupling setup. Did you mod that yourself? And what's the reasoning behind it? Jus to lower the coupling to the right height for the tow vehicle?

Cheers
S&P

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Jasa I am also wanting to know the price of that box as it is just what I want, but maybe not what I can afford.:)

Paul, jerry cans are the same height as gas bottles aren't they, I ordered a jerry can holder myself and when it didn't eventuate the dealer said they don't do it if you have 2 gas bottles. I pointed out that some one on this forum got one delivered a week earlier with 2 bottles and a j/holder, he just fed me some more bs and gave me a holder to fit myself.
you can probably fit the cans in a box like Jasa's anyway.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi Gents, @S&P and @crustt sorry for not getting back sooner, moving housing, packing etc!!!!,
I had the box made at the toolbox centre in dandenong and fitted by ADP caravans in Kilsyth, Melbourne. Not a cheap exercise, but I don't have the equipment (or no-how!!) to do this sort of thing myself. The box was about $800, fitting was a couple of hundred

Reactions: blacky

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
$800 sounds reasonable for a custom job.
I am going to have look at these in the new year.

ezpower.com.au/products.php?product=Aluminium-tool-box-%232055

Bit of a compromise but $350 to $400 cheaper

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.

Mate, no compromise there. I reckon I would've checked them out if I had of known about them. They look good.

Mogsaway

Jun 10, 2013
Kellyville Ridge, N.S.W.
@crustt , nice find. I am also looking at one for the front of my 17.56-2 that I will pickup when I get home from this deployment. Wondering how it would go if you rotate it 90 degrees so that the top could open forward with the bed down and the ends were hinge to the rear not the bottom if that makes sense.
MOG

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au

Looks damn good for the price.
At 2000mm long it will be interesting to see how much it affects the turning circle.
I just measured our Weber Q220 and sadly I don't think it will fit in as it's minimum 475 wide :(
Looks like its a custom job for me too.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Thanks JASA,

That's a great size box, and at a guess, not an off the shelf item. Can I ask where you got it and how much you paid?
Also an interesting hitch/coupling setup. Did you mod that yourself? And what's the reasoning behind it? Jus to lower the coupling to the right height for the tow vehicle?

Cheers
S&P

Hi @S&P I forgot to answer the other part of you question the other day. I use a Hayman Reese hitch but what you can also see is a bike rack attachment.

IMG_5350.JPG

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Just upgraded from Penguin OB to a Expanda 14.4-5 OB. Found spare tyre under twin gas bottles ridiculous to access so moved spare to rear bumper on a bracket. Want to install two JC holders on A frame possibly between gas bottles. Any ideas?

garfield

Oct 9, 2012
Hervey Bay Qld
Hi Jasa and thanks for getting back with this photo.
This is exactly what I am after. Did it require much modification to the existing brackets in the rear and that looks like an interesting wheel holder, is it manufactured or is it a factory issue?
Can you advise what kind of cost to help me budget for something similar thanks

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
This is exactly what I am after. Did it require much modification to the existing brackets in the rear and that looks like an interesting wheel holder, is it manufactured or is it a factory issue?

Hi @garfield ADP Caravans in Kilsyth Vic made the bar for me which was $450, the drop down holder was $165 and made by Preston Chassis which is the same holder used on the Windor Rapids. The new number plate holder and light was $80. You may also have to move the rear water tank if you have one...I do and that cost me another $120. The bar replaces the original Jayco bar and is welded to the chassis.

Cheers James

Reactions: garfield

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.

Might be a bt of a trip from Hervey Bay to Kilsyth to get it done though!! I reckon you could probably get the holder from Preston Chassis shipped up to you then find a local bloke to fabricate a new bar and put it all together...

Reactions: garfield

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi JASA,
Can I ask who did the Gas plumbing for you when you replaced the gas bottles in the box? was it a qualified Gas Fitter? I am looing for one.

cheers TRAKADU