Jayco tyre recall

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is that the one from September last year ????

Just check your ViN on the list, if it is you might score a new set of tyres, though the ones that come with the vans are usually rubbish.... goes back to 2012 so another feather in the cap of QC at Jayco............... I know my 14.44 came with tyres that only just covered the GTM and failed on the ATM loading, rims weren't much chop either.

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Yes there telling me they will swap my original GT radials for new ones , GT don’t make a tyre in that size or load rating ? So I want to know what they are putting on the affected vans . The other hurdle to get over my van is six years old an I have upgraded my tyres to maxxis 811 AT but they are the 110 rating now illegal since they swapped my vin plate , also jayco dropped my GTM by 31 kilos , not real happy ATM

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What details did they change on the plate ??

I see in a brochure while it doesn't say the GTM or ATM, I would say the GTM is about 2t while the ATM around 2180kg or near that, they have probably changed the plate so the GTM is 2t or very close. Your tyre, LR must be more than the ATM ideally ATM plus 10%, so something above 113 would be good, I would be checking the LR on the rims as well ...
The figures on the plate you need to worry about are ATM and GTM, tare and ball weight are fiction... also the GTM is a floating weight in that as the ball weight increases the actual GTM decreases something many tend to forget and of course the stated tyre/rim size is a minimum, the tyre pressure is a guide and usually incorrect.... (GTM load on wheels, ATM load on wheels plus tow ball)...

A look at the brochure and going by the stated tare and load capacity I reckon they all would be overloaded the day they drove out of the yard....

Last edited:
Reactions: mfexpanda