Is anyone towing a 17.58.3OB with a Prado?

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
As we get closer to ordering a van (this week fingers crossed!) I have just read a few worrying threads about tow ball and AGM weights on delivered vans being much higher than quoted. So was just wondering if anyone has the above and haven't had any issue with weights. I am starting to wonder if maybe going an OB won't be a good idea and going back to the drawing board on a touring model with maybe the underslung axel. Our options are
  • Roof aircon
  • Bigger fridge
  • Drop down picnic table
  • Bed converter
  • Esc
  • Control panel drifter
Anyone towing a 17.58 with similar or more options with a Prado GXL? From what I can see on the Jayco website the ATM should be 2255 plus option weights. I did read the threads about the 17.56 and Prado towing but wondering if anyone has the above set up or similar. Cheers.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We are using a landcruiser but our 17:58-3 Loaded up is about 2650kg ATM That's with a box (30kg) generator, weber and camp oven loaded in the box (35kg ?) so I guess with watching what water and payload you load in you could be pretty close to the 2500kg the Prado is rated to. I'd do it just be careful about what you load?

The stupid part about all this fuss about being "legal" is it ignores the practicalities in towing!

Personally to me a balanced van is more important than anything else? And by balance I don't just mean weights front to aft but spring loading etc. the SC 17:58-3 tows better with water tanks full at approx 2650kg than with tanks empty at 2500kg ! (The spring/axle set Jayco fit to it is a 2660kg set.) But of course with some vehicles and unless you get Jayco to replace the standard 475kg payload for 600kg payload your "illegal" at that weight ! even though Jayco don't do one change to the van to upgrade the payload other than stamp a higher ATM on the plate !!

You seeing the stupidity in all this?