iPad mounts

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Morning all,

With the impending arrival of the new tug am looking some of the things I am putting into it for traveling. One of the things I am wanting to do is mount an iPad mini. I am not wanting it to be on the drivers side and am preferring that it is windscreen mounted as swmbo would hate a gooseneck type bolted under her seat.

I bought an elcheapo iPhone one from flea bay and it died after about two months so want something that will last. Wanting to be able to use it as our music player, research assistant and trip planner when driving. Hence why it will be one the passenger side. That and least distraction for the driver.

What types have people got and are they sturdy (no movement)? I have been reading the ram mounts are good but cannot figure out exactly what I would need as I can't see the suction type mounts. I anticipate I will be using an iPad mini4 as need to replace my sons so he will get my current one and I will get a 128gb to hold everything we want.

Cheers

BJ.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I think it will depend on whether you need to access wifi when on the move.

If it helps, we use Wikicamps, along with everyone else, and it doesn't need wifi but if you want navigation you'd need to mount it on the windscreen.

Ours is mounted on the console but removed for bumpy roads as everything bounces off mounts on rough roads...GPS, phones etc. The iPad now seems to sit regularly next to the console.

The other addition we made is to put a car organiser to hang behind the front seats. It holds all sorts of things and can be accessed easily while on the move.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I have on occassion used Quadlock mounts.
http://www.quadlockcase.com.au/
I use a windscreen mount but use a small dashpad mounted disc to mount it to and then use one of the Quadlock universal adapters on a thin case on the back of the ipad. It is rock solid, although I haven't been offroad with it setup like that, but on road it just doesn't move.

Dash disc
20150313_174219.jpg

Mounted
20150313_174101.jpg

Reactions: bigcol and Bmhdg76

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
2 x life proof cases and mounts one on the right for iPhone 6 and one above the stereo etc that locks in the iPad mini with the he a maps. Expensive, cases are around $130 and mount with magnetic lock is around $50 but you only buy them once and they well and truly work

Reactions: Bmhdg76 and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
2 x life proof cases and mounts one on the right for iPhone 6 and one above the stereo etc that locks in the iPad mini with the he a maps. Expensive, cases are around $130 and mount with magnetic lock is around $50 but you only buy them once and they well and truly work

I used to be a fan of lifeproof cases until my daughter dropped her new iPhone 6s whilst inside a lifeproof and the screen smashed.

Searching on line afterwards and it's apparently very common.

So if you're after waterproof they are great but to protect from damage, buy something else.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
just looking at 2 of the sites for Australia for the RAM mounts
http://www.allsat.com.au/
http://www.coast2coastmounts.com.au/

just very quickly looking

you would need to know exactly what you want, and buy the bits individually
some parts are cheaper on 1 site, but dearer on the other, and vise-a-versa

I thought "good idea" a dealer here in Wait Awhile, but some things are dearer than others

Reactions: dagree

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
just looking at 2 of the sites for Australia for the RAM mounts
http://www.allsat.com.au/
http://www.coast2coastmounts.com.au/

just very quickly looking

you would need to know exactly what you want, and buy the bits individually
some parts are cheaper on 1 site, but dearer on the other, and vise-a-versa

I thought "good idea" a dealer here in Wait Awhile, but some things are dearer than others
That's what I found as well @bigcol , you need to know what you need. Why don't they bundle and say this does this etc?

BJ.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
WHAT

and make it easier for you?????

and not spend as much on bits you wont need - what ARE you thinking............. or drinking.............?
Maybe need to get my GP to look at my dosages! ;)

I know there must be a million combinations, but when predominantly these items are bought off the web, it would certainly make sense to have a range for a purpose for a type of device.

I might wait and see if there are any stands at the Brisbane Caravan and Camping show in June.

BJ

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Maybe need to get my GP to look at my dosages! ;)

I know there must be a million combinations, but when predominantly these items are bought off the web, it would certainly make sense to have a range for a purpose for a type of device.

I might wait and see if there are any stands at the Brisbane Caravan and Camping show in June.

BJ

If you go on to the US RAM mount page, they have device specific kits that show the individual components and part numbers so you can the find the local supplier and just order the components.

Because it's modular, all of the bits are interchangeable.

Depending on your vehicle and the size of the dash or the windscreen depth, you may need a different length arm, so it's really hard for them to specify every device and every application.

Reactions: bigcol