Inverters

Dumpy

Dec 14, 2018
Spain
I have a pure sin inverter 3000w peak 9000w all I wanted to do is run a kettle 1600w or a microwave
I’m running it off 1 heavy duty 12 volt battery as soon as I switch rather on it cuts out after about 2 to 3 seconds
Why does this not work is it because I need more batteries linked up ?

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
These types of problems are very hard to remotely diagnose with some supporting information.

Here are some details that will help in providing you with useful advice:

Get a multi-meter and measure the voltage at the actual terminals of the battery before and after you turn on the inverter.

What battery are you using: Brand, model, and capacity in Ah?

Please post a photo of the wiring between your inverter and your battery.

Is the inverter switching off before you connect any 240V appliances or after you try to connect your kettle or microwave?

cheers
Mike

Last edited:

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Chances are it is one of two things
Cables between the inverter and battery are too thin, long etc
Or you have a dying battery

Most inverters have a cutout if the voltage gets too low this can be because it can not draw enough through the thin cables that are supplied with a lot of cheaper inverters and these inverters will work fine when the cable is upgraded.
If your battery is dying it may only be able to output enough voltage for a couple of seconds then drop too low for the inverter (a bit like when you try to start your car with a dying battery)

I would recommend getting the battery load tested (usually free from most battery shops) and if the battery is fine then upgrading the cables from the battery to the inverter.