16' Series Inverter help

foreveryoung

Jul 28, 2013
Bega nsw
Hi,
I have trawled through countless forms and still can't find what I'm looking for could someone shed some light on my inverter connection, as i do all the mods. we have recently purchased a 2007 16-49-3 expanda, most of our camping is freedom camping, however I work from home so have the ability to pack up and go so long as I have Internet we are fine, however I need to charge the lappie so we have opted for an inverter so we have the ability to run the austar box as well, (don't want hear remarks on the tv camping, it doesn't worry me but hubby has to have the footy, tennis, cricket etc), our purchase was a projector 300w pure sine, can I connect it directly to the vans deep cell battery, run an extension cord to a power board to run 240v items, do I have to disconnect from the battery when I'm not using it and when I'm charging the battery from solar, or is it ok to leave connected continuously,

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi my understanding is disconnect your inverter when not using it as they still draw a current and will flatten the battery ..

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Plus it's probably not a fantastic idea to tow around a van with 240 volts floating about....

Nothing a couple of Anderson plugs wont fix though

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Depending on your inverter, they can draw 0.8-1.5a in stand-by mode, so best to turn off when not required. Also efficiency varies (80-90%) so your 300 watt inverter should comfortably manage your needs.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
we run a 2000w inverter conected to the batteries with the outlet ouside.
if we want to run it we connect a lead from it to the vans power inlet and run the whole van on power like normal.

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
if you connect the inverter to the input power of the van, then problem then is that the internal charging setec power supply is then trying to charge the battery from this as well, and will cause all sorts of problems and give you power run away usage. very short battery life. i have disconnected some of the circuits in the van that i know can be used for inverter power, built the inverter into the van. however my inverter has a external power switch and monitor screen to show you what power is being used. then the power sockets work as normal when connect to the mains and stay connected when disconnected from the mains. so no swapping power leads or connecting up is required. also i put another external power point outside dedicated to the tv running from the inverter, that way the tv still works on battery, but i also have an extra point outside now for power if required.