17' Series Installing washing machine in 2014 17.56-1

JOBSWAN

Nov 3, 2012
Mandurah WA
Looking at installing my washing machine in the Expanda 17.56-1 by the door on the left as you enter. Has anyone else done this before. If any one has, some pics would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks @dagree yeah @JOBSWAN have completed this mod about a month ago.

Here are most of the pics I took during the install and modification

Initial Pull Apart & Install of the actual washing machine

IMG_3942.JPG IMG_3945.JPG IMG_3946.JPG IMG_3948.JPG IMG_3951.JPG IMG_3948.JPG IMG_3951.JPG IMG_3952.JPG

Next was the plumbing and electrical

IMG_4029.JPG IMG_4034.JPG IMG_4038.JPG IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4040.JPG IMG_4041.JPG

Measuring the top for the insert, used some cardboard and cut it to size including the opening to ensure it could open and also have enough room at the back of the opening

IMG_4082.JPG IMG_4083.JPG IMG_4088.JPG

Finishing touches including some marine plywood for the side, re-used the shelf by cutting it down and the opening for the washing machine.

IMG_4143.JPG IMG_4144.JPG IMG_4285.JPG

Overall a fairly straight forward install, I have been able to test running it off both the tanks and mains and both seem to allow the water to flow into it pretty good, but a normal wash uses "a lot" of water about 60l so would be doing it off he tank water that often :)

Let me know if you have any questions, did all the mods myself except the opening in the bench top, I was able to re-use the same bench top which was a plus as I thought I needed to get a new one. Got the bench top done at PDA Caravan Repairs, the Caravanland guys put me onto them and the guys at PDA did an excellent job.

Let me know if you have any questions

Cheers

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
@burnsie Once again I love this install. Q: With our washing machine (same as yours but a knock off brand), it wouldn't drain with the waste hose being low. Like the normal home setups, the elbow had to be at lid height.

Have you had issues with yours draining? Cheers Pace.

Reactions: burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hey @Pace have only run it about 5 times so far and it seems to have drained ok.did yours pull up an error on the machine or did you notice the flow wasn't very good?

I have put a slight angle on the pipe work under the van so it flows away from the machine so hopefully as long as it runs past the first part of the pipe in the van then flow "should" be ok :)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've been going to pull mine out and seal the inside of the cupboard with that stuff you do shower walls with before you tile , a thick stinky gell sort of goop, just in case we have a slight accident with a one way drain in floor.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
What a great idea and a neat job.

We pay about $8 a week for washing but I can see the benefit of having one on board. What's the water consumption like per load?

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
What's the water consumption like per load?

yeah "lots" worked out to be about 60litres per load, seems to fill the machine three times each with about 20 litres.

For us we will only be running it when connected to mains one because of the water usage "don't want to drain the tanks" and also we don't have a generator and I think we could run it off an inverter but would chew through the battery :)

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
yeah "lots" worked out to be about 60litres per load, seems to fill the machine three times each with about 20 litres.

For us we will only be running it when connected to mains one because of the water usage "don't want to drain the tanks" and also we don't have a generator and I think we could run it off an inverter but would chew through the battery :)

When we were travelling, we used a 600w pure sine wave inverter when free camping and had access to water. We also used the quick wash cycle that doesn't use as much as the normal cycle. From memory our machine is 230watt so no real drain on batteries as we used it during the day with the sun shining.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since we are using ours every day or so I should see how much it uses, it does leave a lake over the grass and I move the hose around each time I don't think I would run it off the tanks as they would surely be dry in quick time.

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
When we were travelling, we used a 600w pure sine wave inverter when free camping and had access to water. We also used the quick wash cycle that doesn't use as much as the normal cycle. From memory our machine is 230watt so no real drain on batteries as we used it during the day with the sun shining.
And it worked a treat when tapped into the sprinkler system at El Questro ;)