17' Series Ideas to secure bed end for baby

Eastcoastholidays

Jun 16, 2016
Victoria
Hi, we have a 17ft Expanda and I'm after some ideas on how to secure one bed end to make it 1yo proof. We have the bunk, shower/toilet model so the gap we need to secure isn't that big as it's just the width of the walkway. Any ideas would be fantastic and/or photos. Thanks in advance.

Mark13

Jan 22, 2016
Glenden
Maybe try a baby gate across the gap... Or what we have done is push the mattress up and put a small porta cot in the bed end...

Reactions: bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We had a portable cot in the bed end with side zip opening easy had it cabel tied to a peice of ply so it didnt move when he got to big for it i then fitted a cot to bottom bunk again easy theres pics of it in my posts search cot in 1756-2 should find it are you in vic if so i can easy help

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
A bed rail? That is what I would use. We will use one on our dining table conversion which is for my not quite 2yr old. We have a long rail and it is quite high. You may need to search around as a more recent rail I bought was shorter and not as high or secure. My old one clicks in place to lock it onto the mattress so no chance of it falling if a child leans on it. The new one just sits under the mattress.

Reactions: davemc

Mark13

Jan 22, 2016
Glenden
A bed rail? That is what I would use. We will use one on our dining table conversion which is for my not quite 2yr old. We have a long rail and it is quite high. You may need to search around as a more recent rail I bought was shorter and not as high or secure. My old one clicks in place to lock it onto the mattress so no chance of it falling if a child leans on it. The new one just sits under the mattress.
Have you got a pic by any chance?

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Have you got a pic by any chance?
I bought this 10yrs ago and is the best rail ever. Has been well used and is still being used 3 children later. Think I bought it at Kmart or maybe a baby store. Travels with us everywhere.
20160617_182107.jpg
You can see where the mattress sits and it is pushed down to lock onto the mattress about 10cm in from the edge.
20160617_182054.jpg
Fits all sizes of mattresses and it's feet go underneath.
This is the new cheap version bought at Target/Kmart. Is just L-shaped and not very secure. Wouldn't trust it with a thin mattress or a baby. I have the cot wedged against it to stop it moving. It has a gap.
20160617_181734.jpg
Hope that helps. I will use it on our dining table bed conversion to enclose the edge like a cot. It would work the same on a bed end.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I have a feeling Jayco used to supply a kiddy net.

There was one on our Swan. It just lifted up from the front of the bed and was attached to the sides (I think) and was about 50 cm high at least. Tucked in when not being used.

Might be worth checking with them to see if they still do it.

ady17

Feb 15, 2016
Perth, WA
when our kids were little we used a Kinderkot. A bit like a tent but we tied it down as it had peg loos on the corners. Google it and you will see what I mean.

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
Were about to go down the same path re bed end for a 1 yo.

The swan had the baby net you pulled up and clipped up in the same style as how you lock the matress in when packing up.

That said. Considering how small the gap is im more inclined to make a wooden baby gate type thing. The bed side rails would also work. Although our littlw takker has taken to climbing so might bout work for us.