How long to build a Panda??

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
I have watched the youtube video of the Jayco factory tour, when asked how long it takes to build an Expanda, the chap said they build 90 a week so one every 20 odd minutes.... Could that be right...does not sound possible??

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We went to the factory tour last week they have them lined up one after another at stations.
One guy just lays the floor over and over all day.
It is all split up like making a Lego :)
Not sure they get one done every 20 mins...
Spent a while watching the Swans and Silverlines not long at the Expanda area.

Reactions: Janbo

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
The line moves forward every 20 min from what I have been told so yes but takes that time at each station

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Length of time to build would vary a bit from design to design, depending on what's inside but;
Time to build = 20 mins per station x number of stations
An assembly line means continuous feed from one end down to the other.
90 per week doesn't really equate to mins worked in a week / 90

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
Yes but assuming they have all the component parts ready, they must assemble 90 in a week

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
Our van gets 'built' tomorrow - I am over in Melbourne but not going to the factory tour.

Last edited:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
They may make it in a coulpe of hour but they spend a fair amount of work making each component.

That's why they do them in batches / runs so they can make 40 x walls, 40 x roofs etc of a particular model and then once that's done it gets run down the production line.

But its the month or so it takes to build all the components that gets missed in the equation....

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
I thought that too, its just that if they can make 90 a week then thats a Fair amount...maybe they are not all finished off in a week and still need wiring or something

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
As I said before, 90 coming off the line a week does not mean the van is made In a week, just that 90 come off in a week and 90 get started in a week, might take a week or more to make each one from start to finish. Why not someone ask when they go on a tour?

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
The guy giving our tour took us back to show use putting the walls on a Starcraft.. They do not skimp on what they put out of the tubes..
I bite my tongue when he went on about the QA check stations and how the quality is now great been on these forums now for a while........:bolt:
Really the fact its so production lined and all teh parts are basically computer cut it ends up with how the put it together which fails, screws, missing silicone etc

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Mine is going in for its first free service this week. Any special things I should get them to check? I haven't found any missing loose screws etc where should I be looking for hidden defects? Only thing I found was a loose ceiling sheet that is sagging.
Hank

Reactions: mfexpanda