HJ61 Landcruiser as Tow Rig?

andrewghamilton

Jun 6, 2015
Perth
G'day folks

I'm new to the forum but just considering upgrading the Eagle to an Expanda. I'm driving a much loved 60 series cruiser which is in great nick, tough as nails and good for many many ks.

But I can't find the braked towing capacity anywhere and I'm being told it is 2.5T but not sure.

Is anyone out there using an old 60 for a tug?

Would love to hear your thoughts as to its legality and how it goes.

Cheers

Andrew

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
how about "its as clear as mud.............." as an answer...........

have a read of this
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/118957/60_Series_Landcruiser_handbook_towing_weights.aspx?ky=&sn=&p=/Forum/default.aspx?pn=1

there is another link to another page as well
very interesting reading

BUT

moral of the story is - "probably" 2.5T (2500kg) depending on the tow bar

both my old 60 series (1981 FJ60 ) & (1986 HJ61) were different weights 2000kg stamped on tow bar & 2500kgs stamped on the tow bar respectively

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
oh, and by the way

welcome to the forum,

tis nice to put up a little post about you and your van etc, helps people to be able to help you

andrewghamilton

Jun 6, 2015
Perth
G'day Col

Much appreciated mate!

Clear as mud sounds accurate then...

Re 'intro's - I feel a bit of an imposter here, because at the moment I'm weighing up whether to buy an expanda. It pretty much comes down to figuring out if the ole girl can legally handle her. I have no doubt she can tow easily enough but I don't want to get caught out!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
never an "imposter"
we cater for all Jayco products, as well as "other" brands

we have a few people with the Swans -

its all about the trip & travels & mods mate

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
G'day Col

Much appreciated mate!

Clear as mud sounds accurate then...

Re 'intro's - I feel a bit of an imposter here, because at the moment I'm weighing up whether to buy an expanda. It pretty much comes down to figuring out if the ole girl can legally handle her. I have no doubt she can tow easily enough but I don't want to get caught out!

Yeh jump right in. Most of the discussions on the forum reach across brands. My van is a Jurgens. My tow rig is a Landcruiser 200 series.

Reactions: bigcol