17' Series Help with switch and pump

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Gday all

just brought the new van home well new for us its a 2012 17.56-2 OB this van has never had the battery installed, I just fitted one
I have a few questions about a switch and the pump as per pictures what is the switch for is it for when running the van on 12 volt only?
when I turn the switch on the pump runs and doesn't turn off,
when running on 240 mains does the shower and all taps only run off mains pressure as I cant here any pump run when this switch is off?
I have very poor water flow to shower
is this water pump only for 12v this pumps runs even with out the batteryconnected

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 296

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats at getting the new (to you) van home @23chris ...

when I turn the switch on the pump runs and doesn't turn off
Do you have water in the tanks as the pumps start and stop by pressure and will keep running if no water is available.

when running on 240 mains does the shower and all taps only run off mains pressure as I cant here any pump run when this switch is off?
The water source is not determined by the 240/12V sources. It depends on if you are plugged into mains or running on the tank/s.

I have very poor water flow to shower
Is it only the shower that has poor flow? If so maybe the shower head could be partially blocked? If all taps have poor flow check the "Pressure Limiting Valve".... Do a search in here as there has been plenty of previous discussions (Easiest fix is to dismantle it and either remove the spring or stretch it and replace it)

is this water pump only for 12v this pumps runs even with out the battery connected
Yes the pump is 12V but is also connected to the setec power supply so will also run when plugged into 240V.

Hope the above makes sense?

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
cheers for the response I have been out playing again and have found a big air lock I have flushed and primed all is good.
cheers

so even on 240 the pump switch needs to be on?

Reactions: dagree

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Battery switch turns off 12volt to everything and battery won't charge when plugged into 240 volt. The unmarked switch may turn off all the 12 volt lights, we have a switch by the door that does this. With the hot water service full of water and the gas turned on if you switch on the toggle next to the red light it will light the hot water service, when the light goes off, the hot water service is ignited and warming the water. With you water flow in the shower, we had a similar problem. Inside the flexible metal pipe that the shower head is attached to there is a plastic pipe that the water runs through. Ours was badly kinked at the shower head end as well as the wall end, stopping water flow. We replaced ours with a standard fitting from the green shed. If the pump runs when you turn on the switch you may have a leak, maybe the outside tap isn't turned off properly, maybe the pressure release valve on the hot water service is stuck open. If plugged into mains water the pump will turn if there is not enough pressure

Jeff

Reactions: Drover

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Battery switch turns off 12volt to everything and battery won't charge when plugged into 240 volt. The unmarked switch may turn off all the 12 volt lights, we have a switch by the door that does this. With the hot water service full of water and the gas turned on if you switch on the toggle next to the red light it will light the hot water service, when the light goes off, the hot water service is ignited and warming the water. With you water flow in the shower, we had a similar problem. Inside the flexible metal pipe that the shower head is attached to there is a plastic pipe that the water runs through. Ours was badly kinked at the shower head end as well as the wall end, stopping water flow. We replaced ours with a standard fitting from the green shed. If the pump runs when you turn on the switch you may have a leak, maybe the outside tap isn't turned off properly, maybe the pressure release valve on the hot water service is stuck open. If plugged into mains water the pump will turn if there is not enough pressure

Jeff

Thanks Jeff I understand all the above as for the unmarked switch it turns on and off the pump I have the same as you with the switch above door for overriding the lights

cheers

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Yes :encouragement:
(But usually reduced pressure due to the pressure limiting switch)
great so this would explain why I have don't be rude pressure on mains and great pressure on 12v and tank water.
did u say there was a fix the this pressure drop on 240 and town water?

cheers

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Yes if it is all taps that are affected..... The pressure limiting valve (Small brass one) is usually located under the van below the water connection. Remove it and take it apart and stretch the spring. Put it back together and try it. Others have removed it altogether and some have replaced it with a 500KPA valve (Original is 350)

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Yes if it is all taps that are affected..... The pressure limiting valve (Small brass one) is usually located under the van below the water connection. Remove it and take it apart and stretch the spring. Put it back together and try it. Others have removed it altogether and some have replaced it with a 500KPA valve (Original is 350)

Thanks dagree ill take a picture tomorrow of the valve I seen under the van to confirm I'm about to pull apart.

Thanks again

Reactions: dagree

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
wow I did not know this. On mains my pressure is average but its good on pump. I thought it was just brilliant Jayco design.I will have to look at this pressure limiting valve and stretch the spring thingy. I would assume the pressure limiting valve is not inline when your on pump. And check the filters, but I have always run an inline filter on the hose at parks and when filling tanks. So hopefully O.K. Must change that hot water anode thing as my van is 3 years old.

Reactions: Drover

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
good day working on the van today DC DC charger wired in coast to coast tank monitor mounted and the low pressure water issue is all sorted cheers ever on for the great feed back.

just have a issue now with the 12v pump when water is running from any tap all shower there is a loud like vibration noise I have checked the pump to make sure its not rubbing on any surface and its mounted fine, Question what is the brass valve just past the pump?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Sounds like a good day of mods ;)
Wanted to finish wiring in the external speakers and outside TV aerial/sat dish connections for the outside TV but Auskick and some precipitation got in the way!

Most pumps are a bit noisy. The only thing I can think of if it is noisier than normal is that the pump mounts may need to be tightened a bit more?
The brass valve near the pump "should" be a one way valve to stop water getting pumped up to the hand pump and back into the tanks.