Help Please

spanner

May 8, 2012
Hi All, We are getting raedy to head off on our first big trip with our 2010 expanda.
I was looking for som e help with a couple of questions.
I have just got the prado wired with the heavier wire to the 12 pin flat plug, i would like to know if the freezer will stay frozen while driving or will there not be enough go in the 12v.(we have the 150 ltr fridge).
And also i was looking at a 300w inverter to charge the laptop either in the car or van, will a modified sine inverter do the job or do i have to spend more and get a pure sine wave inverter.
Thanks for any advice
Spanner

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
I can't help you with the fridge question but as far as charging the laptop goes I wouldn't bother with a 240V inverter unless you have something other than a laptop to run from 240V. Have a look at these http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3472 from Jaycar.
It's more efficient power wise to go from 12V DC to the required DC (generally 17 to 19V, it will be written on the laptop power supply) for your laptop than using an inverter to go to 240V and then use the laptops power supply to come back down to the required voltage.

Reactions: Bushman

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have a modified 300w from jaycar and it charges the laptop just fine. I got it for the obvious flexibility. I've heard that you should have a pure sine wave, but so far so good for me!

With regard to the fridge, we also have a 150L with a 12 pin connection. The longest summer trip I have done is about 4 hrs with this set up and it was ice cold on arrival, so I was very happy. Please note that we made sure the fridge was on for a day or 2 beforehand and all contents were pre-chilled.
Others have posted mixed results with their fridges.

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
we have the same set up with the 150 litre fridge and as long as you get the fridge/freezer to the temperature you want it will hold at that temp we always pack frozen including icecream and its as hard as when we packed it in when we arrive at destination and thats with 8 hours of travelling . but be careful when you stop anywhere to cut power to the fridge as it drains car battery fairly fast if you dont.we have built in switch in dash for this

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Often switch fridge to gas for the big stop (brunch or lunch depending e when we hit the road) as we usually want the kettle on as well. Well packed freezer keeps frozen all day.