Help please, 12V problem

Shark

Feb 12, 2012
Wollongong, NSW
Just returned from free camping at Bendella, Kangaroo Valley, weather came good and we had a perfect spot by the river, unfortunate we have a problem with 12V power. Only using 12V for lights and water pump, soon after set up 12V tripped out, inspected battery fuse, looked OK, replaced same battery fuse, problem seem solved but 5 min later tripped again, repeated several times with same result, checked for loose connection, thought again that problem was sorted but same fault repeated, after replacing and blowing several fuses I am now totally at a loss, I will contact auto electrician tomorrow, but if anyone has experince of similar problem then I appreciate your comment. Footnote, we purchased the van 1 year ago, its Dec 2009 build.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Before replacing the next fuse, have you gone throughout your van and made sure every possible switch is off?
Then replace the fuse and see if it still blows. If it still does, then I am out of ideas. If it does not blow then just work through your van and switch each switch on one by one till you find what switch shorts the circuit.

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
Good idea Brad. Also a rubbed through wire could cause a fuse to blow. When you move around in the van and it rocks, it could make a rubbed through wire earth out on the frame somewhere. You say it runs for awhile. Get power going and stay out of your van so it doesn't rock, and see how that goes. Check your cables, more so where they go through panels/ holes and where they are clamped. Good luck