17' Series Help needed for Expanda with Ensuite Shower/toilet ..

Peter T.

May 23, 2016
Australia
Hello All,

Anybody out there have experience with leakage from the ensuite toilet shower cubicle ?

Coz I'm chasing some help on behalf of a mate .. he has lent out his 2012 Jayco Expanda Pop-top which has an ensuite shower & toilet cubicle .. i.e the toilet bowl is in the shower cubicle.

The folks borrowing it are two days travel away, and in desperation have phoned in to report what they believe has been a leakage from the Thetford Toilet's cassette. I'm not familiar with the design/layout of the cubicle, but I believe that the toilet seat/bowl is all part of the 'one-piece' fibreglass moulding that forms the cubicle. And that the actual cassette lives below it in a compartment accessed from outside via the usual hatch door. So I can't imagine how what they've reported has happened.

Anybody got any info / diagrams that I can look at ?
Thanks
Pete

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'd double check that they know how to use the toilet correctly as it can leak if the lever to open the waste cassette is not opened before the toilet is used.

If it's not opened before use, but after, leakage can occur.

Or the cassette could be full.

Do they know where it's leaking from /to?

Into the shower tray?
Into the cassette hatch area?

Reactions: Rockape and dagree

andrewghamilton

Jun 6, 2015
Perth
Hi Peter

I am guessing it is not 'leaking' as such but the seal around the bowl (the blade) is faulty.

I had the same experience with our expanda last year. Basically the seal perishes and the wee goes under the cassette and into the storage compartments beneath.

They should be able to but a spare part at a caravan spares store and fit it themselves in 5 minutes.

Andrew

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The seal on the tank needs replacing as it allows fluid to pass sideways into the can cupboard which then works it's way into the shower.......been there done that a few times. Stop at any caravan place and buy a new seal, they have instructions with them or you can find them on the Thetford web site. Model of the tank or at least what colour it is grey/green or grey/orange to ensure the correct seal.
You do have to remove and dismantle the flap section so a good clean out is wise, all that is needed is a phillips head screw driver, olive oil and a read of the instructions first.
If the can has been overfull it will vent into the cavities in the bottom of the can cupboard before running into the shower they also need to be checked when replacing the seal, it's not pleasant.
I think I did a "How To" on it.

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
I have suffered similar problems previously as well. I found that so long as you open the top of the toilet before you use it, alot of the leakage stopped.

The other thing I found was to make sure you don't splash too much water around in the cubical compartment when you fill up the flusher holding tank, otherwise clean water will seep back into the van.

Reactions: Rockape

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We had a similar issue when we had a guest using the toilet and failing to understand about the blade opening and conservative use of toilet paper resulting in overflowing and a real mess.

Took ages to clean it all up and to remove the smell