Help in setting up 200 series for towing van

12Enjoy

Jul 26, 2015
Mareeba North Queensland
Looking for some feedback from other 200 series owners about how they set up for the van. I have ESC fitted to the van, airbags under the rear of my vehicle but I am wondering do I still need to get adjustable height two hitch and stabilisers?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Looking for some feedback from other 200 series owners about how they set up for the van. I have ESC fitted to the van, airbags under the rear of my vehicle but I am wondering do I still need to get adjustable height two hitch and stabilisers?
if its any help I have a prado new pedders springs on back and front 07 model just standard springs air bags in back hooks up fine and I use a WDH hitch too couldn't be better its sooooooo good but !!!!! just wish prado was 3tonne towing so everything was covered if anything happened van weighs a lot heavier than jaycos plate on the ball weight weight of van ok but ball weight way off to the point of not much weight in van no water then I can tow it just im right on the fence hence the 100 series but will never get rid of prado its to good my van 1756-2 outback 2014 model its not 200 series just what I did to it but will be putting new springs airbags new shocks in the 100 and happy birthday if its today

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
@12Enjoy I've got a 2inch lift in mine. It's slightly stiffer than standard and the vans ball weight is 220kg. Fully loaded I don't need a wdh. I've got a 250mm or there abouts Hayman Reese drop hitch. The van sits level and rides really well. Most 200s I've seen on our trip that aren't driven by a certain class of tourer, don't have wdh's.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I run a std Toyota on road hitch. With a approx two inch lift in the rear. Heights near perfect for the van on 16"s. I've found with the LC loaded up a ball weight up to 200kg is okay. Over that I feel it's a little lighter than I like. A WDH would certainly improve that but I choose to redistribute stuff to keep the ball at <200kg ideally 160-180kg and always choose to use the front tank first when camping. The WDH is just another load and thing to be concerned with disconnecting etc etc. Iam only measuring the ball with one of those Repco ball weight measuring poles so my weights may not be accurate for comparison only relative to my own adjustments.

The other thing to keep in mind a single axle or j tech dual axle will push more weight on the ball dynamically when towing than a conventional dual axel with load sharing springs.

You need to be confident in your towing and rig and if a WDH does that for people good oh. I think the best thing for towing is a well balanced van and tug and that the tug is ideally much heavier than the van. Aim for that and then afterwards look at adding aids

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
The 250mm drop hitch doesn't lower the ball that far. It does allow me to lower the ball around 50mm to match the lift which suits my van.

No airbags on mine as all they do is encourage you to overload by stiffening your back end. They don't increase your load carrying capacity. That's usually limited by your chassis, axle and wheels.

@achjimmy describes the most important part well. Balance your van.

Reactions: bigcol and 17triton

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Without knowing your ball weight (once fully loaded) and exact setup of your Cruiser it is somewhat hard to explain. However, I understand that you have airbags installed. Airbags along on a standard factory setup might not help you to level the Van for example say if your van's ball weight is over 220kg. Not to mention you may have some gear in your boot and the rear passengers as well. These will add up to the overall weight of your tow vehicle and you may easily exceed the legal limit.

Our Panda's is on the heavier side and the tow ball weight is nearly 280kg fully loaded. So our Cruiser has 2inch lift, all around suspension upgrade with 200kg at rear, Bilstein shocks and adjustable airbags which help to keep it levelled. I also use Hayman Reese adjustable hitch so that Panda is perfectly levelled. I have some pics below hopefully this helps you.. cheers Trakadu

Setup.JPG
setup1.JPG

Reactions: bigcol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
A suggestion, have you had a look at McHitch. I am aware of some towing 3.5t AGM off road caravans without WD Bars using drop on McHitch. Joe at McHitch is really knowledgable well worth talking to and asking questions. You can buy a McHitch and then WD bars later, he makes WD bars variable height) for both of his hitch designs (auto and drop on) and they are competitively priced and designed to work with the McHitch.

http://www.mchitch.com.au/#!weight-distributing-systems/cq05

If you need WD bars at lot depends on the tows suspension design and weight of caravan. We towed our 1.2t Avan cruiseliner for 3 years with no WD Bars and had no problems and we only had a standard ALKO hitch, but we had upgraded the NP Pajero suspension with air bags and Bilstein shocks. My new 2.5 t AGM caravan will come with McHitch auto hitch and because of the increased weight I have upgrade the NW Pajero with air bags, Bilstein shocks and Lovell springs.
I am not 100% sure I will need WD Bars. However, after much thought I have ordered a set of Joe's WD bars for the auto hitch and though not a fan of WD Bars have decided to give them a go. Mitsubishi and the Caravan manufacturer both suggest / recommend WD Bars for the Pajero if towing over 2t.
So not sure about Toyota Landcrusier, if I was in your shoes I think I would fit a McHitch and give it a go then look at WD Bars if I need them (also check with Toyota if WD Bars are recommended) . Sadly, in my case my Mitsubishi tow is suppose to have them so reluctantly, rather than risk warranty I have ordered the WD Bars more as insurance rather than essential.

Note, also when off road or rough creek crossings the WD bars need to be taken off.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Terry

12Enjoy

Jul 26, 2015
Mareeba North Queensland
Thanks for all the feedback, some good suggestions/pics and ideas. I think it sounds like the good option for starters is the height adjustable tow hitch. The air bags I use currently just to level if required. Tug has KDSS so sits up pretty good, only single 138ltr tank so no chance of minimising load from different tanks. I guess when I get the van and go to hook up I will find out what I need. Oh and thanks for the bday wishes bluey. :)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Don't have clear views because they are to wide to use daily for me. But the clip ons are crap plus ghe cruiser spring isn't strong. Guy on Lcool pulled them open and put a soacer under the spring