Help! Fuse keeps tripping in 17.56-01 OB - problem solved

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
Went out to get van ready for holiday. I was running the van lights off the battery whilst I packed and noticed they weren't as bright as usual. Oh well I thought just plug into the 240v and she'll be right. WRONG! Fuse kept tripping.
So I went through a fault finding process.
1) tried both 15 amp power cords I own off the 15amp GPO - still tripped.
2) unplugged all appliances with power sockets. Hot water, Box beside battery which I assume is SETEC and microwave - still tripped.
3) tried another GPO on the house - still tripped.
4) popped roof in case wire pinched when it was lowered last- still tripped.
5) checked all the fuses including two in battery box - still tripped.

We have had a lot of rain in South East Queensland in the last fortnight. Van is outside while shed is being extended. Noticed that van wasn't level on the weekend as the tyres had sunk into the lawn. Rectified this on Sunday evening-van is now dead level. There is a roof top air con unit. We haven't put the cover on the van as we have been using it a lot. Fridge and oven are off.

Why is it tripping?
Faulty fuse?
Water in the air con? Where is fuse for air con so I can isolate it?
Anyone else had this issue?
Am I doing something wrong?

Please help, we are due to go to Straddie in two days!

Last edited:

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
Try unplugging the setec and see what happens. If it still trips, I would think you have water leaking onto a power cable or moisture around a power outlet. Also make sure the socket you plug your lead into is clean and dry. Does it trip the circuit breaker or the earth leakage breaker?
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: Still_dreamin

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
"Test monthly" indicates it is the earth leakage. If that is tripping, then it has to be something that is plugged in and on - Setec or Fridge or ...? As Rockape suggested - turn off the Setec and see it still trips.

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
SETEC was unplugged, fridge off, hot water unplugged. Only thing that I can think of not unplugged and unable to unplug is roof top air con. Today is a hot day so hopefully any residual moisture will evaporate. I can see a late night trouble shooting tonight.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
It seems that your earth leakage breaker is tripping, so if you have unplugged all your appliances, I would check any power points that are located close to vents or below windows for signs of moisture. You can switch off the internal circuit breaker and see if your household breaker still trips. This will rule out the wiring between the circuit breaker in the van and the external connection point where you plug in your power lead.
Let me know how you go.
Cheers
Nick

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
Thanks for all your help. But am a total newbie with where jayco hide things. So I have found the earth leakage switch, the SETEC and power point for hot water system. It seems the fridge, air con and oven are hard wired to the 240v according to Jayco camper land service. So no fuses that can be pulled to bypass. I have found the fuse box and they are all ok. @Rockape no circuits are tripping on my house just the one in the van.
I hooked up the van and took it for a drive up and down some steep hills and some aggressive breaking down hill saw a bit of water come of the roof. Hasn't rained for four days but have had heavy dew. Would have thought that would have evaporated during the day as it was quite warm( all the puddles on the ground dried up days ago)
Beginning to firm up on water in air con theory.
The fridge still runs on gas.
As there is no power where we are going camping this will have to wait until I get back to fix.
I am taking solar panels, a generator and my ctek charger so will be able to keep battery healthy.
Please keep tips coming. May I ask if you tell me to unplug something can you give a description of what it is and where I may find it. (See second sentence;))

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
The electric element on the cook top has a plug hiding in the cupboard & like others have said the fridge also has a plug, can't be certain about the AC, your Jayco contact is giving you the bumsteer

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
In the 17:56 1 you will find the fridge has a power cord that comes through into the cupboard to the right of the fridge next to your door!

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
i have searched every cupboard. found the electric point for oven/cook top, setec, hot water. Cannot find fridge and aircon so maybe jayco telling the truth. Also found some ants. Now i fear my adversary is not something simple such as water that will eventually evaporate but a nest of black ants.
How much fun is owning a van?
on a brighter note the shed extension was finished today so at least expanda has a home out of the elements from now on when not in use.

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
In the 17:56 1 you will find the fridge has a power cord that comes through into the cupboard to the right of the fridge next to your door!

found it, thanks!
didnt solve problem.
i think i have ruled everything out except air con or faulty safety switch :confused-87:

so very tired......
i think i will have to leave it to the experts. anyone now a good van electrician on brisbane northside

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Try these guys. They know their way around vans and are a Jayco approved repaired I think.
I have used them before for a warranty job and two road worthy certificates.
  • B & B Caravan Service & Repairs
  • 5/36 Deakin St, Brendale QLD 4500
  • (07) 3881 3884

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
Try these guys. They know their way around vans and are a Jayco approved repaired I think.
I have used them before for a warranty job and two road worthy certificates.
  • B & B Caravan Service & Repairs
  • 5/36 Deakin St, Brendale QLD 4500
  • (07) 3881 3884

Have used b&b before as well. Great service. Not sure if they do electrical. I will give them a call.

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
IMAG0238.jpg

Seems the expanda just needed two days of this!

Plugged in generator this morning to see if anything had changed and the switch didnt trip. Turned air con and it purred away.
The new shed extension is finished now so she will be stored level and dry from now on!!!
Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts.

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
Would still get it checked out as the issue would still need to be fixed. Don't want to be away plugged in with a downpour!

BJ.

Got to agree with @Bmhdg76 problem is still there, you've just dried out that's all, it will probably come back next time you get wet.

Dave

I agree but unless I can replicate the issue than the conversation with the repairer would go something like
Me : " something keeps tripping the switch"
Repairer: " something fixed and that will be $$$$$"

Reactions: blacky and gwadir