HELLA PREDATOR HID ON PXII RANGERS

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Hi everyone,

Wondering if any of the new PXII Ranger owners have been told by their Ford dealer that Ford has released a bulletin saying you are not to fit HID driving lights to the new Rangers?
Was at a place to day getting some work done on the Ranger and was questioned about the lights, when I asked why, the above was mentioned. The guy was all good with it he was just curious if I had been informed.

Normal Halogen's and LED's were all good regardless of their wattage. have done 16000kms in the 10 weeks I have had it and hasn't missed a beat in the lighting department???

Also what are people's thoughts on the new predators?? Not the red ones but the new black cast ally ones, I ran the 240 Blitz Narva's with the HID conversions on my old ute for 200000kms and loved them but thought Hella was a leader in this tech? They just don't seem quite as good as my old Narva's

Cheers Max,

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
while I cannot help you with the Ranger - and I cannot understand how the HID's would not be any good - less power to make better clearer light

but

Cibie are the ones - there is a reason why the Ralley cars run them

Reactions: Herbertclan

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Not sure either bigcol??

The guy said it was something to do with the vehicles electrical system, at the end of the day all we are doing is triggering 2 relays via the cars light circuit and don't see how the ute knows what it has on board re light package, unless it is to do with the high voltage interference? My Narva's would kill the radio signal if i was on the outskirts of Perth or any radio signal.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think (therefore I am probably wrong - Ranger's please help)
maybe, like most of the newer cars, the electrics are such that the initial "spike" needed to start the HID's could be a problem for the ECU
(clutching at straws - but they have that thingy where you have an Alt that wont run a 2nd battery unless you change some wiring........?)

I dunno

I know you have to change the flasher can (or put in a resistor) if you change all your park lights & indicators to LED - as they dont draw enough power to activate it

dunno -

Reactions: Herbertclan

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
I know you have to change the flasher can (or put in a resistor) if you change all your park lights & indicators to LED - as they dont draw enough power to activate it

Yep you're correct @bigcol , had to fit resistors to my old ute (Navara D40) as the LED tail lights we used when we built the tray didn't load the circuit enough and got the old "fast flasher syndrome" . TL built the tray for the Ranger and used the old style Narva tail lights with globes, I thought to my self "now that's building a tray down to a price" but we couldn't go close to building a tray for what the TL cost this time, isn't it funny how a mining down turn brings out the true value of a component.
:focus: The Cibie's look pretty good!!!

Reactions: bigcol

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
My guess is that there has been some electrical interference with the ECU or other electronics due to the 12V to high voltage converters. The rangers may not filter enough and therefore poorly designed converters will cause interference. Would suggest that this has caused ford to issue the statement so that any damage/liability is no longer with them.