Hard lids moving in strong winds.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We are away at Barwon Heads this weekend as daughter has a basketball comp. Last night the winds were that strong that the hard lid facing directly in the wind was virtually flapping up and down. We popped down the shop for 10 minutes and when we came back 3 vans in our row had awnings ripped off! I know covers would make a difference. In the end I wedged a cushion in between the lid and support bar. Anyone else had this happen. Cheers Geoff

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi Geoff
This happened to us at Yapoon some years ago on my old 16.49-2. I tied some support ropes to the inside of the locks, applied a little tension and pegged them to the ground. This worked well on what was a very windy night.
Cheers
Andrew

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Yep it does happen , mind you it was a gale force 10 winds we were in down at Coffin bay N/P on our shake down tour back in 09 van lifted , hard lids flapping , it was one hell of a night .
But the ol expanda held up a treat , the bodies inside didnt !!!!!!

Reactions: cruza driver

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
We were smashed by winds outside coober pedy. The front was behind the car into,the wind. I tied the lids down via the locking bit as the wind was getting under them. Also had the shade / privacy screens on and pegged down to add some more down ward force. Winds was so strong we also dropped the roof for the night. Blew dust into every crack in the car and van, and it was like sleeping on a boat, but all stayed on and in one piece.

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
Hi Macca, travelling around coastal Oz I've tied down the hard lids & on one occasion lowered the roof lid. I always bring in awning when winds look challenging. Considering a couple of screws in fibreglass are holding the bed lids in place, gale force winds....fun.