Handover next week! - what do I need to check?!

Chocka

Mar 23, 2013
Melbounre
Hi Guys,

I pick up our new 17.56-1 next week ( getting excited !!!:) ) and I was wondering what might be common faults to look for before handing over the ballance. I'm not a fussy customer, I just know it's easier to get things fixed before you pay your final payment!

The options we went with are:
Hot water system
external shower
Solar pack with battery
150L fridge
White privacy screens
gas outlet at rear of van
Extra power point in dinette area
Extra external light above shower area
Alpine annexe with large side window, extra door at back with windows at both ends
Roof mounted aircon

Thanks for any input. Cheers.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
First check would be to make sure they have fitted all of those extras.
I didn't realise until I got home that they had forgot to instal the drain pipe from the pressure relief valve in the HWS o_O
Run your hand over the bench tops and the walls of cabinets for screws sticking through
Open & close the beds, awnings & roof your self, some salesmen will tend to do it for you.
Check all the appliances work, both gas & electric.
Try to open draws without unlatching the catches, many people find that the draws don't catch properly
Lay on the bed...we didn't like the original one so we layed on another in the yard & took that one.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
Turn every light switch on and off, check all taps work and water flows, get the fridge turned on and if you have a oven like we do check that it actually works. We got home to find it didnt' work so didn't have a oven for our first weekend. Waiting on replacement parts on a brand new oven. Good Luck,. Trish

Earthbound

Dec 9, 2012
Ormiston, Brisbane
Chocka

The very first thing I suggest you do on the way home after taking delivery is to run the van over a weighbridge and check the weight (Axle load + J/wheel ) against the placarded Tare Weight. Insurance will wipe you if you have an accident and it is established you are overloaded.:(

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Chocka

The very first thing I suggest you do on the way home after taking delivery is to run the van over a weighbridge and check the weight (Axle load + J/wheel ) against the placarded Tare Weight. Insurance will wipe you if you have an accident and it is established you are overloaded.:(

Why do this?

Are jayco not accurate on the weights given on the plates?

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
There is a weigh bridge certification inside the cover of your manual, i Has both ball weight & tare.

I would agree with putting over a weigh bridge, but not for a few months once it is packed somewhere like you need it, and heading away for the weekend. Then you know what you are towing.

Reactions: Xpandafan

Earthbound

Dec 9, 2012
Ormiston, Brisbane
Bmhdg76....

re: "Are jayco not accurate on the weights given on the plates?"

I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the quoted Tare Wt. The question for me is what is the criterion for determining this?

Does it include 1..Wt of the gas in the bottle/s, 2...wt of the water in the HWS. 3..Wt of the water in the toilet flushing tank ?

As a matter of interest our 2010 16 49 3 OB has a placarded Tare of 1690 Kg giving an available load of 325 kg. The van, when loaded with all the bits n pieces that permanently stay aboard in storage, weighs 1860 kg. With the ATM placarded at 2015 kg this gives us a wt of 155 kg to load food,drink,clothes,books,magazines,computor,outside table, chairs and bedding. The awning and shadecloths are loaded in the wagon.

So even when just going away for a w/e the van is very close to max wt.

Earthbound.:angel-87: