Hand Brake locking on

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
This post is on behalf of a friend I'm at camp with this weekend
The last 3 times they have taken the van out of storage the brakes on the van have been locked on & to release them they have to connect the car.

This is a pain in the Butt as its a very tight location to reverse the car into, they then move the car out of the way & ratchet the van out of its hole to then hitch the van up.
They have complained to Jayco with the response of "don't use your hand brake"
WTF so when am I supposed to use the brake
Ummm arrr......
& that's where they are now at...

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
I have experienced something the same but not on my van , releasing the handbrake making sure that the cables are loose then pushing the trailer backwards seem to release the brakes . I suggest pulling off the brake drums and blowing out around the shoes / springs/ magnets , youll be surprised on the amount of dust / gunk in there .

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I have experienced something the same but not on my van , releasing the handbrake making sure that the cables are loose then pushing the trailer backwards seem to release the brakes . I suggest pulling off the brake drums and blowing out around the shoes / springs/ magnets , youll be surprised on the amount of dust / gunk in there .
Although asbestos brake liners have been banned for a few years now, whenever I work on brakes I use a dust mask. Who knows where Jayco source their brake shoes from.

Reactions: Wanda

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I agree with @BUSH PALACE and @Soaring.

If its sitting for a while even condensation could cause the brakes to stick on.
I also park my Expanda at home with no handbrake on and only use it when camping. I would pull the drums off and make sure everything in there is where it should be.

003-1.jpg

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
The van is still under warrantee, & jayco has serviced the brakes & checked them again a second time
When I say in storage it's only 3 or 4 weeks at a time
Is that just a cope out from jayco that they should pursue further