GPS Units

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi all, i have been looking for a new GPOS system after buying the new tug, old tug was in dash so i need a new unit.
I want to add 2 camera's one back of tug for reversing camera (who knew you could see zero out the back of a canopy) and one on rear of van.
I have narrowed to the HEMA or the VMS, i like the fact the HEMA has all the camps 7 info and every other van or camp spot pre loaded.
my feedback is the HEMA is the way to go with the amount of service providers, all ARB stores and a bunch more, no one 4x4 major stores seemto sell the VMS, online for the most part?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I can't help with either the VMS or HEMA - I liked both but too expensive for me.
I went with the Navman My Escape which is still a 5" screen, has the offroad tracks, will select more appropriate roads for large vehicles (eg caravans) and has an AV in for a reversing camera (but only 1)

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
i think a stand alone, i had in dash in the Patrol as the whole stereo needed replacing but the new STX Navara has the stereo and blue tooth ect sorted. i like the idea of a larger screen than the indash too.
I was impressed with the Hema unit has all of the camps book inside it as well as every other listed van park too.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
i think a stand alone, i had in dash in the Patrol as the whole stereo needed replacing but the new STX Navara has the stereo and blue tooth ect sorted. i like the idea of a larger screen than the indash too.
I was impressed with the Hema unit has all of the camps book inside it as well as every other listed van park too.

Its a nifty little unit....

I had an import double din stereo in the pathfinder and I had it running Ozi Explorer, IGO, Tom Tom and I had the camps maps as well.

Ozi Explorer wasn't the friendliest and I am doing it again as the import stereo broke down after two years so I am getting another one.

If I didn't have the double din though the hema would be the next best bet.

Have you decided yet?

Let us know you get along and find the device if you get I am keen to here your experience!

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We have a HEMA 6. We are not impressed by the IGO street maps.(Took us up dead end street in Gawler, Great Eastern Highway near Northam hasn't been updated and has been in use for a number of years. The speed limits around our area are all incorrect.), but it will still get you from A to B if in unfamiliar territory. We like the 4WD drive with Ozi Explorer and all the HEMA maps. Very comforting to have a trail you can follow back to civilisation. Ozi Explorer is a bit hard to get used to, but we probably don't use it enough. It's not our only source og navigation equipment, we also rely heavily on the maps (paper variety) to see the big picture. We have been very happy to date.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Hello leesy, we have had our HEMA since May 2012, It has been updated regularly through Naviextras. We have received numerous updates from Naviextras for it. The IGO maps will get you from A to B, so don't let this put you off. It is probably on a par with any other GPS.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hello leesy, we have had our HEMA since May 2012, It has been updated regularly through Naviextras. We have received numerous updates from Naviextras for it. The IGO maps will get you from A to B, so don't let this put you off. It is probably on a par with any other GPS.

I have had some random moments with both IGO and Tom Tom...

You'll here "Turn right now" and yet there is no where to turn and I can see MrsExpanda brace for impact as she has full belief I am just going to turn becuase the GPS said so :)!!!

As Robin Williams said "No can do hal"!

Luckily I am paying attention but it has been the cause of some choice words in the car :)....

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Thats funny! i think we have all had some of those moments with GPS systems, i think i have settled on the Hema, after spending way too much on gear for the new Navara tug i will have to save a little, or wait until Mrs is not looking!! Cheers

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Not sure if you have a iPad at all but you can buy the VMS and HEMA Apps for around the $150 mark and they have all the off road and street maps in them, we bought the VMS (Mud Maps) App before our cape trip last year and it worked great.

Scabbad

Apr 5, 2013
We have a HEMA 6. We are not impressed by the IGO street maps.(Took us up dead end street in Gawler, Great Eastern Highway near Northam hasn't been updated and has been in use for a number of years. The speed limits around our area are all incorrect.), but it will still get you from A to B if in unfamiliar territory. We like the 4WD drive with Ozi Explorer and all the HEMA maps. Very comforting to have a trail you can follow back to civilisation. Ozi Explorer is a bit hard to get used to, but we probably don't use it enough. It's not our only source og navigation equipment, we also rely heavily on the maps (paper variety) to see the big picture. We have been very happy to date.
Thanks Jeff you have just answered my unasked question. I am going the VMS. I have the HN5 and the route 66 street maps are terrible. The anticipative text for streets/suburb is non existent and unless you get the correct suburb spelling exactly right (according to it) then you get nothing. I don't think the maps are the issue moreso the software behind the mapping data. The 4wd mapping system (HN5 has street, 4wd and topo functions) is not much better. The topo is good however but for $990 is wasn't worth it. These is a good comparo (noting it is on the VMS site) at www.vms4x4.com/pages/vms-vs-other-models with both VMS types and the HN6.

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Thanks Jeff you have just answered my unasked question. I am going the VMS. I have the HN5 and the route 66 street maps are terrible. The anticipative text for streets/suburb is non existent and unless you get the correct suburb spelling exactly right (according to it) then you get nothing. I don't think the maps are the issue moreso the software behind the mapping data. The 4wd mapping system (HN5 has street, 4wd and topo functions) is not much better. The topo is good however but for $990 is wasn't worth it. These is a good comparo (noting it is on the VMS site) at www.vms4x4.com/pages/vms-vs-other-models with both VMS types and the HN6.

Attachments

• DSCN4096.JPG
    DSCN4096.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 205

Scabbad

Apr 5, 2013
I have attached screen shots of the HN5. As you can see the 4wd and Topo Mapping is primitive. Yes you know where you are but the VMS has 1:25000 topo maps (Same has your paper topo maps) which is excellent level of detail.

Attachments

• 4wd Nav.JPG
    4wd Nav.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 207
  • Start Menu.JPG
    Start Menu.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Street Nav.JPG
    Street Nav.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 208
  • Topo Nav.JPG
    Topo Nav.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 223

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Garmin Nuvi 50, 5 inch. Should cost around $99 on special from the likes of JB Hifi, Good Guys.
Cheers Deano
image.jpg