Got the spec sheet for my 17.56-2 OB - Help.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
So I recieved the sign off spec sheet for my 17.56-2 OB I ordered at the Melbourne show.
They were very keen to have me sign and return ASAP, but Im in China on business at the moment, and really want to spend some time with the dealer to go through this. I've told them I'll be down on Saturday. Plane lands at 6:00 am then straight down to Prestige Geelong!
Im sure many of you on here would have been through this process before, so If you can have a look and see if anythign stands out as being odd, pleae let me know.
Also, any additinal extras that i havent ordered yet that you think would be worthwile.
Im adding a drop down external table, an external light near the external shower, some additonal Power and 12v point near the kids bunks.
One thing I notoced is that there is a comment at th bottom regarding the TV provision. I asked for the bracket/provision (the arial was a show inclusion) but there is a comment at the bottom saying "Please note: TV bracket and Provison is N/A in this model". Any idea what this means?

Attachments

• checklist image 1.PNG
    checklist image 1.PNG
    191.8 KB · Views: 373
  • plan image.PNG
    plan image.PNG
    103.2 KB · Views: 337

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Soaring, not sure about the TV bracket provision, maybe someone with this model can help with that. Extras I would include are 2nd annexe light, external tv outlet, control panel, sound system and awning walls. Good luck with the sign off mate!

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
my TV bracket in the 17 was on the timber to the left of the Microwave, this was done by the dealer, it was a great position for us. other wise the generic point is on the counter to the left as you walk in. Im not sure what they are talking about at the bottom with it being "N/A"

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
So I recieved the sign off spec sheet for my 17.56-2 OB I ordered at the Melbourne show.
They were very keen to have me sign and return ASAP, but Im in China on business at the moment, and really want to spend some time with the dealer to go through this. I've told them I'll be down on Saturday. Plane lands at 6:00 am then straight down to Prestige Geelong!
Im sure many of you on here would have been through this process before, so If you can have a look and see if anythign stands out as being odd, pleae let me know.
Also, any additinal extras that i havent ordered yet that you think would be worthwile.
Im adding a drop down external table, an external light near the external shower, some additonal Power and 12v point near the kids bunks.
One thing I notoced is that there is a comment at th bottom regarding the TV provision. I asked for the bracket/provision (the arial was a show inclusion) but there is a comment at the bottom saying "Please note: TV bracket and Provison is N/A in this model". Any idea what this means?
The N/A is usually "Not Available" or sometimes far less often "Not Applicable".
Talk to you dealer, it might come as standard unless the TV is supposed to sit on the bench top to left of door.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Cheers guys. I'll ask the dealer about the TV bracket.
Burnsey- thanks for the reminder on the external TV point. I will rarely use it, but will definitely come in handy occasionally. The sound system im still undecided on. I don't like the speaker positions under the end bed, and Im not sure I really need any more noise than my three rug rats provide!! I aslo not a big fan of hearing other poeople music while camping.
However all that said, I do like the idea being able to sit under the awning nursing a cold beer and bluetooth streaming soem quiet tunes from my iPhone, so was thinking about putting a bluetooth car stereo in myself, and just geting Jayco to fit the external speakers and wiring.

Reactions: Burnsy

Brettmc

Oct 18, 2012
Perth
We added an external light with a separate switch to the external shower, that way the light was not on when the awning lights were turn on.

Reactions: Soaring

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
We added an external light with a separate switch to the external shower, that way the light was not on when the awning lights were turn on.
Great point, thanks Brettmc!
BTW where is your TV? do you have a bracket, or do you put you TV on the small bench next to the Door?

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hi Soaring,

Food for thought here – been through the same questions when ordering my panda. Good luck – in the morning confirming your order.

TV Bracket.
- Is Not Available in the 17.56-2 OB from the factory because of the window location above the TV counter. Apparently there isn’t anything solid to screw into so the factory won’t do it and they also recommend the TV be removed from swivel bracket when in transit... Dealers generally do this at your request though and there are many mods on the forum for ideas. The TV socket provision is standard.
- I planned on putting a bracket in but have found with the external TV outlet and two external drop down tables my set up works great without it. I move my 24” TV inside and out as needed as it’s sits at a great height on the external table right near the TV outlet and 12v socket. It just sits on the TV counter when inside and I wedge the top edge of the TV onto the dinette seat when in transit.

A-Frame
- I see you have gone with the extended A-Frame. You might want to have the jockey wheel fitted in the centre on the cross member (might even be standard now but worthwhile specifying if you want it setup that way). I did to keep it clear of the WDH spring bars.

Stereo and external speakers
- I like music in the background so wouldn’t be without it. It’s definitely neater and way easier to get the factory to do it. If you go with the standard offering the head unit and speakers are ok and way loud enough for any camp ground. The fusion package is overpriced for my liking but probably reflects far better audio and would enable you to don't be rude off other campers quicker... However now that the cables are in the walls, a speaker or head unit upgrade is a piece of don't be rude.
- In mine they put the speakers under each seat in the main dinette. At first I wasn’t too impressed because I thought they’d put the speakers in at each end in the tunnel boots/under the beds for better sound spread but I actually like it where they are now. I mainly have the spears set to the outside where we spend most of the time or it is confined to the table area so kids in the beds can do what they like without everyone being too disturbed. There is a switch inside which turns the exterior speakers on and off without have to adjust fader the head unit each time (I am going to change the speaker wiring around so it turns the interior speakers off easily).
- Keep in mind, the 17’s I’ve seen, without a factory stereo have had larger overhead cupboards where as there is a fixed panel/compartment where the is optionally installed and they don’t have the antenna installed… more holes you need to cut in…
- I have tried a cheap JVC Bluetooth unit already but the signal dropped off pretty quick once outside the van and a few meters away… I’ll keep looking and get a better unit one day because I also want to able to skip songs and adjust the volume from the camp chair.

External light above shower
- Highly recommended even though ours won’t get used for the showering at night all that often… it does however throw a good amount of light on the offside of the van with a LED upgrade.
- From the factory Mine is wired to the lighting circuit and has a separate switch on the light (it looks exactly like the light in my ARB canopy).

Additional power points and 12v sockets near the kids bunks
- I have these installed at the kids bunks/dinette but now think I could have spent the $’s on something else more worthwhile (that’s just my opinion – as I have extra power points and 12v socket installed at the main dinette too).
- I can’t think of anything our kids use that needs constant 240v or 12v to run… If the batteries are flat tough luck.

External Tables
- I have found the 2nd table extremely useful – one to store TV and general gear (crap) on throughout the day as you come and go and the second for cooking and prepping, meals on, etc. Saves me having to cart an extra-large or second fold up table on the trip (I have downsized our fold up table that we use outside meal times, etc).

Cheers Ligedy.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Soaring,

Food for thought here – been through the same questions when ordering my panda. Good luck – in the morning confirming your order.

TV Bracket.
- Is Not Available in the 17.56-2 OB from the factory because of the window location above the TV counter. Apparently there isn’t anything solid to screw into so the factory won’t do it and they also recommend the TV be removed from swivel bracket when in transit... Dealers generally do this at your request though and there are many mods on the forum for ideas. The TV socket provision is standard.

I would still ask about the TV bracket. When I purchased mine I was told that none of the walls are solid enough unless you specify at time of purchase where you intend to mount the TV. The factory will then insert A block of timber into cavity to mount the TV. It could still be that this model has restrictions, but worth the question.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Maybe another external power point making it a double. An external light near the front of the van for getting stuff out of the trunk. Would definitely get the jockey wheel put on the inside of the a frame. Maybe power point near the dinnete. Get control panel/HWS switch moved from near the floor to up near the microwave out of the way. Make sure all your lights are LED.
Cheers
greynt

Brettmc

Oct 18, 2012
Perth
Moving the hws moved from the floor is a good idea , it's a design flaw that should be rectified .When I was on holidays and even when I was working on the expanda at home the switch was accidently turned on ( bumped with the back of the foot) quite often.

Congrats on the new purchase - We love our 17.56-2!!!

I think most points have been covered but the big ones for us were:
- 2nd External table - Couldn't be without it!
- TV outlet & 12v outlet next to the tables
- The Jockey wheel on the inside of the A=Frame would be awesome - I didn't get it, but am nw looking to have one made-up. Definately assists with WDH
- I love the stereo. We were away on the weekend and I prefered our outdoor speakers mounted low on the outback as they were at head height. clearer sound, and no need to have them blaring for my benefit :)
- Privacy Screens - Not sure if they are standard now? I find they do keep a lot of the rain out as well.
- I'm putting shelves in our robe as I'm certainly not going to need to hang anything! I am not sure if this can be done from the factory?
- As above, I don' tthink you can have too much external light.. I'd love one in my boots, plus a second Annexe light - Iwas talked out of it at the dealer and I regret not having it now!

Best of luck!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
So thanks for the feedback. Some real effort went into the responses!
I went to the dealer on Saturday, and added a few more goodies. Its only money right..........?
The TV bracket, apparently is not available on the 17.56. And as I am supplying my own tv with built in DvD and base, It was just a nice to have. It will work perfectly well sitting of the small bench. I used the money I was quoted for the bracket to add in the external TV point, and an extra power point near the kids table. I also added an additional external light near the external Shower, some led reading lights above the bunks, and drop down picnic table.
They tell me they don't relocate the jockey wheel, but Im sure some guys on here have had it done. I just couldn't be bothered arguing.
I ended up deciding against the stereo and/or speakers. I'm looking around for a nice iPod dock wills think that will do for the limited time I need more noise.
Im sure over the next few weeks, I will things of more things to add.
65 Days to go!

geejay13

Jul 12, 2011
Australia
Hi Soaring we too have a 17.56 and purchased a tv bracket from the Big Green Shed which I then fixed to a piece of 70x35 mgp10 timber fixed thru the low bench with a screw and thru both overhead cupboards with screws. My rational is that maybe I will want to sell the panda so 'secret' fixings may well preserve the value rather than boring holes willy nilly hope this helps bsafeView attachment 14130 View attachment 14130

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 291

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hi Soaring we too have a 17.56 and purchased a tv bracket from the Big Green Shed which I then fixed to a piece of 70x35 mgp10 timber fixed thru the low bench with a screw and thru both overhead cupboards with screws. My rational is that maybe I will want to sell the panda so 'secret' fixings may well preserve the value rather than boring holes willy nilly hope this helps bsafeView attachment 14130 View attachment 14130
Great job geejay13. It seems there is plenty of real estate to fix the mount to the wall there, so not sure why jayco doesn't do it. Your way is a good workaround and I do like avoid drilling holes in visible places. I like how you have also used the timber to mount the power board. I assume you still remove the TV when towing?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hey there Soaring, We don't have speakers either. We have a Bose SoundDock portable digital music system. We already had this at home, so didn't have to purchase it purely for the Expanda. It is on the expensive side but we love it and being Bose the sound is 10/10. We now take it away with us and play music from my IPhone or the girls can use it for their IPod music too.
The portability is great, it runs off mains or lithium-ion rechargable batteries. So we can take it outside without any cords to trip over. So although expensive it's a system that you can use both at home and when away in the Expanda.
http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/sounddock_portable/page.html

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
you will love the van, we also have 3 kidlets - 2 @6 years and 1 @ 8. the external speakers for the stereo lets them plug inthe ipod and amuse themselves outside the van with out trashing the inside. we havent bothered with a fixed tv mount as we tend to move it around the van or outside the van depending on who we are with and where we are. the external 12volt power socket and aerial plug are the handiest things to have. i have our 40l engal pluged in in the annex with drinks in it to stop the kids leaving the inside fridge open - it has happened.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hey there Soaring, We don't have speakers either. We have a Bose SoundDock portable digital music system. We already had this at home, so didn't have to purchase it purely for the Expanda. It is on the expensive side but we love it and being Bose the sound is 10/10. We now take it away with us and play music from my IPhone or the girls can use it for their IPod music too.
The portability is great, it runs off mains or lithium-ion rechargable batteries. So we can take it outside without any cords to trip over. So although expensive it's a system that you can use both at home and when away in the Expanda.
http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/sounddock_portable/page.html
I do like the Bose dock, my neighbour has one, but I was hoping to find a Bluetooth version. I have the Apple TV at home and love the ability to control the music from my iPhone, or the girl's iPods.