16' Series Gas Bottle Question

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hello All

I was wondering if (like us in the older style 2006 16.49-2) anyone has changed the 2 x 4 kg bottles to either a single 9 kg or dual 9 kg bottles. Main reason I ask is that there is obviously more capacity in the 9 kg's plus I have a better ability to keep a 9 kg full bottle handy for the next trip.

I know that to do anything on the gas system itself, the work must be done by a certified gas fitter (which I shall get to assist) but what about the holding brackets on the A-frame? Jayco sell the cylinder holders but is there anything required for the actual remove and re-weld of the angle section of the existing 4 kg holders.

I suppose the other reason is that I don't like the idea of having a flexible hose (non-regulated) across the front of the van connecting into the regulator where most setups are taken from the bottle in copper tubing.

Some thoughts or ideas from gas/welding/fitting experts would be really appreciated.

Cheers! :)

Gil

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Regarding the flexible hoses, as long as they are AGA approved which I am sure they are, then they should be fine. Just make sure the connections have not been damaged by using wrong spanners etc. For a caravan they are probably better as they take up the expansion/vibration better than annealed copper would. I would probably change them over every ten years, other than that I would not hesitate to use them and I am a gas plumber. No biggie though if you want to fit copper pigtails, they are pretty cheap.

Bottle size is personal choice, but if you are not using much gas then I would not bother. 9kg would be cheaper (per kg) to fill and easier to obtain, but the ball weight will be heavier if you go to two 9kg. If you only use the stove then I would not bother unless you do lots of free camping.

Geoff

Reactions: ElectricGuru

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Geoff, thanks for the feedback. :high5:

The pipework and the connections are in good condition but I am thinking of replacing the flexible hose shortly, hence the post. Was looking at options.

No too worried about the downball weight since we are ok but was mainly thinking about changing the RHS bottle to 9kg, making the pigtail go directly to the regulator without the two-way valve and keeping the left hand holder as is for the 4kg Weber bottle.

I can keep a full 4kg & 9kg handy through the house/bbq usage ready for each trip. We are going to be doing some serious free camping and don't want to run out. ;)

Just need to know is there any issue with me doing the re-fitting of the bracket on the A-frame to accommodate the 9kg bottle holder?

Cheers mate.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Cruza

Photo of the setup. Reason I am looking at relocating the bracket lower is that after measuring all of the heights involved, there is less than 50mm between the bed and the top of the cylinder if I just replace the 4kg holder to the 9kg. That is not enough clearance to get the hand in to turn the gas bottle on/off.

The brackets are 40mm higher than the A Frame and on the newer models are flush with the A Frame so the cylinder sits on the bracket and drawbar.

It's not to much to modify the setup but just making sure that there are no issues with removal/welding.

Photo below showing the two cylinders (I have one out to be filled atm) and the holders. The reg is mounted to the rear of the holder with the bottle in it. I am not going to look at it until after Landcruiser Park next weekend but just one of the things on the ever growing to-do/look-at list.

IMG_1173.JPG

Cheers

Gil