Gas bottle holder size.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Has anyone else had issues swapping over their original gas bottles that came with the van for a swap and go bottle at a service station and found out that the new gas bottle is larger?

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
Had a mate warn me about this after we brought the panda. He's got the Swan and had same problem and he said the Jayco bottles are 8.5kg and your swap and go bottles are 9.0kg. Bit of a pain

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
When it happened to me I thought it was just the brand of bottle for the service station I pulled into. So I asked for a refund and went down the road. Same problem again!!
But this time I handed over the bottle, forced the new bottle into the holder but could not clip the bottle in place.
But that didn't matter as I had to jump on the bottle to get it in the holder.

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
That's gold I can just picture seeing that while drive past thinking what the #=¥! Is he doing. Where theirs a will theirs a way. Glad I no it does fit now though

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
There are different brands of gas bottles. Jayco use the Manchester brand which are very common. So when you go to the swap and go place hunt thru the pile until you find a Manchester class 2. 2 is in the circle, which means it is ok for caravan use, but what I have done is just refill my originals and keep a spare swap and go manchester, that way I have 3.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Your kidding....
Well I went to bunnings today and purchased a bolt extender and extended the length of the gas bottle bolt. So at least I can now work with both bottle sizes even if I have to jump on the larger size bottle to make it fit.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Yep, its like Holden and Ford, they both have the same size wheels but they dont interchange! Never did understand why Ford used a stupid size!

Reactions: mfexpanda

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Can't say I've had this problem, as I dont use Swap'n' Go, but thanks for the heads up, if I ever need new bottles make sure I measure first. if they are a different brand

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I use swap and go and haven't had a problem..........yet!! just had a look and mine are 8.5kg on the sticker and I have been picking out the ones with a 2 in the circle since someone mentioned in an earlier post

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Happened to me today! swapped bottle over and was scratching the head. Luckily I had a spare 8.5kg, so the Weber has a new bottle now!

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Just found that Bunnings do 8.5kg swaps for $21.85. I paid over $40 for the 9kg one which was the wrong size. At least they have a 8.5kg bottle to deal with now!!!

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I've also been caught out with this on the panda.

Also been caught out with the weber family Q gas bottle holder too.

The weber BBQ stand/trolley holds the Manchester bottles however the ring on the base of the other brand name gas cylinders is larger so it won't sit in the weber base part...

PITA it is. I've been staying away from the swap n go but now I'll be sussing out the #2 stamped bottles to fit both holders.

Cheers

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I adjusted the bolt to accept both the 8.5 and 9kg bottle.
I found this at Bunnings. It allowed me to extend the length of the bolt.

image.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah found that out with our 16', so get them refilled for as long as you can. In saying that, the hinged version I'm making will accommodate both sizes!

Reactions: Xpandafan