free camping, water

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi its been over 30 years since we have camped and we have just bought a new expanda 14.44.5 and want to try free camping but i dont want to carry two full tanks of water as im towing with an X-Trail and want to keep the weight to a minimum what i was wondering are there places in small towns where you can get water? any help would be appreciated thanks

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
When refuelling ask at the servo generally they don't mind as along as you ask 1st, that's we have done. Just make sure you ask if its drinking water 1st too. Maybe offer them a some $$$ as a gesture even if its a small amount its cheaper than say at the supermarket water prices ;)

Reactions: jed

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
yeah I have done as Cruza. Never been refused although the BP in Hilston told me only 50 litres ( that's with fuel !) I always ask before buying fuel. If they ever say no water I will say no fuel (providing I options)

many towns have water taps as well, often near dump points. but again as per Cruza they may not be Drinking water.

Fwiw We don't drink frm our tanks, I just don't trust Jayco to get it right. We carry drinking water and use the tanks for everything else.

jed

May 16, 2013
Thanks everyone sounds good i dont mind giving them a few bucks but i will ask before filling up a as what was said no water i wont buy fuel

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
As above. Carry hose with a BEST or similar filter fitted to ensure water going into tank is clean.
If at a servo, always ask first and tell them you'd like to fill an 80 litre tank (or whatever). Offer to pay a few bucks or round up your fuel payment if paying in cash..."keep the change, put it toward your water rates" If returning same route make a point of refuelling at same place. Taps at dump points will be signed if water is not potable. Ditto taps at roadside stops.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
if you cross the nullabour they will not even sell water they have signs don't even ask for water not even to wash windscreen however there are bore water stops for showers and washing at Eucla but I would not fill my tank with it though