Fire Drum Build

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Like so many on the forum we love to go camping and have one of these;
20150425_183614_LLS.jpg

So many camps either don't let you have a fire or stipulate that any fire must be contained in a brazier or off the ground.

I have found in travelling in a group the fire is never big enough for all to sit round let alone do some cooking with camp ovens if you want to.

I decided it was time to make my own.

So start with an 40 gallon drum. I suggest the safest way to go is to use a drum that stored honey. I lost a cousin who was welding a fuel drum. blew him to pieces in front of his 4 year old, very sad.

I purchased mine for the sum of $15 already cut in half.

I don't have welding tools so went to a local steel shop and had them fabricate a set for me at the cost of $40.
Here are a few pics of them fitted.
20150526_115214.jpg

Its a simple "T" 500mm x 500mm with holes at 100mm & 150mm. I also had them pre drill the holes. They are 12mm diameter from memory.
Next off to Bunnings for 4 12mm x 75mm galvanised bolts with nuts and washers. I also purchased 4 15mm nuts to act as spacers to allow for the rim around the drum.
20150526_115209.jpg

All bolted into place I have made it so they can be detached for transport. The drum sits upside on the roof platform of the prado and I use the van shower to clean it out.
20150526_115227.jpg

Finished product
20150526_115202.jpg

Final costing
Drum $15
Legs $40 (includes 2m steel welded and drilled)
Bolts $13 4 x 12mm x 75mm Gal bolts 4 x nuts 4 x washers, 4 x 15mm nuts as spacers.
Total $68
I will add some steel mesh in the bottom to extend the life of the drum the beauty being I can purchase a new drum when it wears out and just attach the legs.

Just also be aware that the edge of the drum can be sharp I am working on that!
Result
20150425_183457_LLS.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Looks great mate, and I like the stands that you made up. Here's a pic of mine that I introduced the group to at Nagambie:

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/attachments/img_20150524_205145-jpg.32512/

It came with the house when we bought it (score!) along with another drum that I've since used to mix concrete. The mesh stand is nice and stable but as I found out with Nagambie, is awkward during packing. Your legs seem a more compact solution.

The mesh will be a good idea, but the key with all good barrels/drums is ventilation. Make sure you drilled a couple of holes in the ends and bottom/side. The drums are quite deep and can end up with unwanted ash if the remnants can't burn cleanly. I've also found if you leave @Bluey and @mfexpanda to dump buckets of water over them at the end of the night you're left with a big bin of ash to clean up...

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Looks great mate, and I like the stands that you made up. Here's a pic of mine that I introduced the group to at Nagambie:

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/attachments/img_20150524_205145-jpg.32512/

It came with the house when we bought it (score!) along with another drum that I've since used to mix concrete. The mesh stand is nice and stable but as I found out with Nagambie, is awkward during packing. Your legs seem a more compact solution.

The mesh will be a good idea, but the key with all good barrels/drums is ventilation. Make sure you drilled a couple of holes in the ends and bottom/side. The drums are quite deep and can end up with unwanted ash if the remnants can't burn cleanly. I've also found if you leave @Bluey and @mfexpanda to dump buckets of water over them at the end of the night you're left with a big bin of ash to clean up...
sorry about that @mfexpanda wanted to let it burn I said no have to do what @Smergen says put water on it or he will bag us on the forum
damed if u do damed if u don't but yes should have helped with clean up I was keeping my son entertained in the pram while wife had shower