Finally after 2 months of ownership - the shakedown trip

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Van packed up, Mazda filled up,car lollies topped up, a carton of "loony soup" in the Engel ( and another secreted elsewhere plus a couple of varieties of chateau cardboard). I think I remembered everything.

Karijini here we come.............

Reactions: Smirke and Wanda

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Sat in Coral Bay on the homeward stretch and it is blowing it's proverbial box off. It has been a good trip and will have completed almost 4000kms in less than two weeks! Not really sure how that happened- it just sneaked up on us :)

The legendary Jayco reliability issues have dogged us from day one with a few newbie induced problems thrown into the mix that I and the dragon can claim full responsibility for. Concerns thus far :-

- dopey me lost the little knob thingy off the crossmember on one side of the rollout awning. Me being a daft git forgot to tighten it up, so it lies somewhere between Mt Magnet and Meekatharra . This is something the dragon will not let me forget. No biggy - a trip to Camec will fix that.

- the lavvy we could not get to flush properly and unfortunately the dragon kept flushing and flushing at 02.00hrs and experienced a near Eureka moment with the blue stuff and number 1's getting right to the top. Massive operator error and it hasn't happened again thankfully, I saw my life flash in front of me and was standing in the turd tank again on MV Andalucia Star for several seconds in my head. For those that have read previous posts on marine based turd-o-phobia you will understand my trepidation on this point.

- could not get the water heater to work on 240v. No hassles as it worked fine on gas. Strangely enough it is working on 240v now. Odd, but may be operator error.

- Fridge was throwing a wobbly as we left Bullara station the other day. Found the cause today as I called in an auto sparky who expressed total disgust at Jayco's method of wiring up plugs. The cable is too thick and hard for the little screw to bite into it and somebody had heavy handedly stripped the thread so the cable was not contacting properly and the coil sounded like a Spanish castanet player with the D. T's as it could not get any power on 12v because of the crappy connection.

- internal lights flash like strobes at a rave venue. Was in serious jeopardy of an epileptic fit there for a while.

- The Winegard antenna is as much use as the proverbial chocolate fire guard.

- rollout awning is seriously out of alignment.

- van reverse camera packed up a few days back. Shoddy workmanship by the installer and will be visiting him with a rather large pineapple on my return.

- drawers that would fly open because they had not had the latch set properly. Retightened them but they are still not okay.

- drawers that fell out because screws were missing and/or too short or just not there at all.

- led lights on several fittings are buggered already.

- the wood effect panelling on the fridge and freezer keeps falling out.

- the grille above the range keeps falling out and was never the right size anyway.

- I bent the pawl arm on the jockey wheel when trying to manoeuvre the van into a tight spot in Exmouth. I had left the handbrake on and these jockey wheels don't like that very much. Will bash it with a drift and hammer when I get home to straighten it. 8 years at sea has given me full training on selection of the right vernier knockometer for the job and I have a shedful of them at home. I am not an engineer for nothing :)

- opened up an overhead cupboard tonight and it exploded in my hands because screws were not tight enough and had worked loose taking a big chunk of material out. I have Jerry Rigged for the time being.

Apart from the above it has been great. Not exactly as we planned it , but great nevertheless. Teething issues aside and the general " lucky bag " nature of all things Jayco it has been a great learning experience and we have about 3 pages of stuff that we need to look at buying/ doing/ modifying to suit our individual needs.

One final thing. Has anyone also noticed that whether you are going or coming back, that it is always uphill? Some odd phenomenon is occurring. It's probably global warming or a Chinese plot or some other nefarious goings on, but it is getting to me.

Back to work on Monday :-(

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
@alan frost As always an amusing way of interpreting your view with your van / travels. At least its documented somewhere what you'll need the warranty repairer to do for their reference.

Yes I gagged as you mentioned the toilet episode, recalling your previous posts.

As for the uphill thing, cant say have experienced it, though for us the back home is all ways quicker than getting there.

Cheers Pace.

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
I
Sat in Coral Bay on the homeward stretch and it is blowing it's proverbial box off. It has been a good trip and will have completed almost 4000kms in less than two weeks! Not really sure how that happened- it just sneaked up on us :)

The legendary Jayco reliability issues have dogged us from day one with a few newbie induced problems thrown into the mix that I and the dragon can claim full responsibility for. Concerns thus far :-

- dopey me lost the little knob thingy off the crossmember on one side of the rollout awning. Me being a daft git forgot to tighten it up, so it lies somewhere between Mt Magnet and Meekatharra . This is something the dragon will not let me forget. No biggy - a trip to Camec will fix that.

- the lavvy we could not get to flush properly and unfortunately the dragon kept flushing and flushing at 02.00hrs and experienced a near Eureka moment with the blue stuff and number 1's getting right to the top. Massive operator error and it hasn't happened again thankfully, I saw my life flash in front of me and was standing in the turd tank again on MV Andalucia Star for several seconds in my head. For those that have read previous posts on marine based turd-o-phobia you will understand my trepidation on this point.

- could not get the water heater to work on 240v. No hassles as it worked fine on gas. Strangely enough it is working on 240v now. Odd, but may be operator error.

- Fridge was throwing a wobbly as we left Bullara station the other day. Found the cause today as I called in an auto sparky who expressed total disgust at Jayco's method of wiring up plugs. The cable is too thick and hard for the little screw to bite into it and somebody had heavy handedly stripped the thread so the cable was not contacting properly and the coil sounded like a Spanish castanet player with the D. T's as it could not get any power on 12v because of the crappy connection.

- internal lights flash like strobes at a rave venue. Was in serious jeopardy of an epileptic fit there for a while.

- The Winegard antenna is as much use as the proverbial chocolate fire guard.

- rollout awning is seriously out of alignment.

- van reverse camera packed up a few days back. Shoddy workmanship by the installer and will be visiting him with a rather large pineapple on my return.

- drawers that would fly open because they had not had the latch set properly. Retightened them but they are still not okay.

- drawers that fell out because screws were missing and/or too short or just not there at all.

- led lights on several fittings are buggered already.

- the wood effect panelling on the fridge and freezer keeps falling out.

- the grille above the range keeps falling out and was never the right size anyway.

- I bent the pawl arm on the jockey wheel when trying to manoeuvre the van into a tight spot in Exmouth. I had left the handbrake on and these jockey wheels don't like that very much. Will bash it with a drift and hammer when I get home to straighten it. 8 years at sea has given me full training on selection of the right vernier knockometer for the job and I have a shedful of them at home. I am not an engineer for nothing :)

- opened up an overhead cupboard tonight and it exploded in my hands because screws were not tight enough and had worked loose taking a big chunk of material out. I have Jerry Rigged for the time being.

Apart from the above it has been great. Not exactly as we planned it , but great nevertheless. Teething issues aside and the general " lucky bag " nature of all things Jayco it has been a great learning experience and we have about 3 pages of stuff that we need to look at buying/ doing/ modifying to suit our individual needs.

One final thing. Has anyone also noticed that whether you are going or coming back, that it is always uphill? Some odd phenomenon is occurring. It's probably global warming or a Chinese plot or some other nefarious goings on, but it is getting to me.

Back to work on Monday :-(
Holy crap you had some dramas!! Educational though by the sounds of it!!!

I will add a few more, a couple I had forgotten and one that has just occurred:-

Roll out awning centre crutch was held together with too small a bolt with a standard skinny nut and a stupid shake proof washer. The nut had fallen off and was just friction holding on the aluminium crutch itself. Could have been a real issue if it had fallen off on some if the rough roads we went over as the awning on the 20.63 is looooong and with no central support would have self destructed

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Too hard doing this on the iPhone it keeps stuffing up......

The crutch bolt now replaced with larger thread, longer 316ss bolt and a nyloc nut. That sucker isn't coming off any time soon.

- leaking waging machine tap that did not have the connection done up. We were lucky, just one wet shoe cupboard. Could have been much worse.

- my rear camera repair lasted enough time to get me out of the caravan park at Coral Bay. The choice of pineapple just got bigger.

- set up in Dongara tonight and the pawl on the hockey stick on The bed end has gone walkies and we have a bed end saggier than a witches mammary.

I know we joke about this stuff and how we could buy a more expensive van if we want better quality, but this thing was $60k, not exactly a poverty pack. Still it was my choice and I have to live with it.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
In hindsight, maybe a shorter shakedown trip. It doesn't matter what you pay, you would expect everything to be tight & work correctly. We bought a new TV because our old one was having issues. tested it in the van when we got it home and discovered the coaxial from the outside to the inside of the van will not transmit a signal. Old & new TV both work fine when plugged directly into the aerial

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
I am really feeling for you reading this thread... Your dealer & Jayco owes you big time as far as I am concerned. Best of luck with sorting out the issues you have had & hope the rest of your trip goes to plan.

Cheers Frosty.