Electrical Fans ? Blowing air backwards.

CamCamps

Oct 29, 2021
Byron Bay
Good afternoon all,
I have just today received some new fans for our Caravan as we’re camping and just realised the new Expanda (2011 model but new to us) didn’t have any. Amazing service from the place we ordered them, only took two days over this Christmas period which I was very impressed by. However the fans seem to be blowing the air backwards, I had a similar issue with our Hawk but if I switched them ends it solved it however not this time. They both seem to be blowing the air backwards on both ends, any ideas. I have developed a not so practical solution (photo attached) for the time being but would prefer them just to work normally.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 197

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
this is from the listing for these combo units on the CampSmart website:

Polarity Issue:

In about 5% of cases customers report the air blowing in the incorrect direction from the fan. In all of these cases, it has been found that the fan once returned and tested was working fine. The issue the RV has been wired the wrong way around. This issue doesn't affect lighting and so people will generally be unaware of it before purchasing the fan.

Please note that we are not responsible for this & in purchasing the buyer accepts that any returns for this issue are at the buyer's cost and must be in line with our returns policy.

https://www.campsmart.net.au/jayco-camper-expanda-bed-end-light-fan-combo

I would suggest getting a multimeter and checking the polarity of the Jayco wiring on the van socket.

It seems the lights in these combo units my or may not be LED. If they are incandescent, the wiring polarity will not affect the light. But if they are LED they may or may not be polarity sensitive.

take care
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mike jumped in ahead of me............. do they plug into a cig socket ???? If so the centre pin on the socket is POS the outer shield is NEG I haven't come across any being done wrong way round on vans, actually amazing as plenty of lights are..................... so I would have a lookie inside the fan plug......

Okay I see a phono plug Jayco have phono plugs in their lights now ??? So centre pin should be POS.