16' Series Extras for Expanda OB

Tara

Apr 24, 2016
Melton vic
Hi guys and girls.
This is my first post. We are looking at a new 2016 expand OB. Just wondering what extras I should be thinking about when striking up a deal. ?? Thanks.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Welcome! It all depends on what you actually want and/or need. Don't be drawn into the romance of the list of accessories as they all cost money (no matter how good a deal you think you are getting) and you may end up paying for things you don't actually need. We ordered a Starcraft but we considered the expanda and our choices would have been the same. Bigger fridge and roof aircon and ESC were our essential items. We would have gone extended drawbar too but in the end didn't want to add length due to storage restrictions. Best of luck.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Depends what you are going to be up to. As we do a lot of free camping we optioned it to suit
2 x 150 watt solar panels
Extra battery
Extended drawbar
Extra water tank
Drifter panel
185 Waeco fridge- we have had trouble previously with 3 way
Bike rack
Shelves in the hanging robes- we don't take hanging clothes with us when we are away
Ibis aircon
Outside entertainment unit

Also in the past we have found that if you don't ask about accessories the dealer may not tell you they are available.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Marv_mart

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @Tara and welcome to the forum.
A lot of good ideas already given above and no doubt a lot more will be below.......

Maybe if you let us know what size van, number of people in the family, the type of camping you will mainly be doing could help us give some more specific ideas!
You could spend many a dollar to setup the van with extra batteries and solar panels, extra water tank/s etc and only travel and stay in caravan parks. (May not be worth it!)

Then you might add extra 240V power points, a bigger aircon etc and prefer to stay off grid all the time!

Also have a look through the site and see what others have added and see if you need or want things done! Failing that just let us all spend your dollars for you ;)

The main thing is..... When you get it "Get it out there and get it dirty" :)

Reactions: bigcol

Tara

Apr 24, 2016
Melton vic
Hi @Tara and welcome to the forum.
A lot of good ideas already given above and no doubt a lot more will be below.......

Maybe if you let us know what size van, number of people in the family, the type of camping you will mainly be doing could help us give some more specific ideas!
You could spend many a dollar to setup the van with extra batteries and solar panels, extra water tank/s etc and only travel and stay in caravan parks. (May not be worth it!)

Then you might add extra 240V power points, a bigger aircon etc and prefer to stay off grid all the time!

Also have a look through the site and see what others have added and see if you need or want things done! Failing that just let us all spend your dollars for you ;)

The main thing is..... When you get it "Get it out there and get it dirty" :)

Jamcor

Feb 29, 2016
Qld
Hi tara if you are running a car fridge as well would suggest a 240 power point towards front of van so u can plug into it at caravan parks and also a gas bayonet fitting front and rear of van i also have 2016 outback expanda 17.56

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Definately drop down table....it holds an amazing amount of stuff and, if optioned from factory, has decals to match van.

And, as others have said, lots of 12v sockets and external tv coax socket. We thought that would be a bit over the top but love it as its easy and more comfortable to watch to outside.

We do lots of free camping and can easily survive on one 150 panel and one battery....if that helps.

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
We went with:
Storm bed ends
Drifter control panel
Solar wiring (no panels as I've already got portable ones) makes upgrading easier
Stereo with outdoor speakers
Roof mounted Antenna
Outside antenna outlet
Drop down table
Gas bayonet

I've added myself

USB ports for charging
Extra 12v sockets in cupboards and next to bed for electric blankets
Anderson plug on the front for solar and charging from car
Extra led lighting in the tunnel boot so you can see from both ends
Relay for the fridge so it's only powered up on 12v when both Anderson and 12pin are inserted (makes more sense as I charge through the same Anderson plug and I'm kind of forgetful)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
What is a drifter panel??
Is the ESC worth the extra coin?? Does anyone now how much it is?
@Tara the drifter panel is a better solar regulator than is supplied as standard.

ESC worth it? How much is safety worth?
I believe that ESC, or similar systems, should be mandatory on all new vans from factory!

When we got our van (2014 Floor stock) the prices were approximately $900 factory fitted or $1,300 fitted aftermarket. May have dropped or risen since then?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hiya @Tara welcome to the forum, lots of great people with heaps of knowledge and passion for their Vans

as others have said, what sort of camping are you going to be doing?????

is this your first Van????

my thoughts

yes to extended draw bar - easier to reverse, more room on the front for bikes & storage box, helps with the tow ball weight onto back of the car
yes to bigger fridge - got kids??? need more fridge space
yes to roof top Air Con - out of the way, free's up storage space inside Van - (down side, a bit more weight on roof for lifting etc)
yes to ESC - safety No#1 priority, helps with towing and piece of mind
yes to more power points, better to have, than not have, especially in Kitchen area and living area
yes to outside drop down table - great place for coffee machine / toaster / water jug for drinks
YES to 16' wheels and tyres - can carry more weight for when your loaded

most of it will be depending on what sort of camping you want to do
16.49.4 is a good van

what sort of tow vehicle do you have?

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
ESC is a necessity, in my opinion, and far more important than anything else.

And agree it depends on the type of camping you want to do.....and check all your weights carefully as its very easy to get sucked into adding oodles in case you might need it.

Have fun with your deliberations.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
The drifter panel also allows you to see the current draw of power from the battery and how many hours are left in the battery if you continue. Eg whilst watching TV it will tell you that you can watch TV for another 46hrs.
It also shows your water level. unnamed.jpg

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Can't imagine watching TV for 46 hours! What a penance.

Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation. I'll try to refrain in the future.

:behindsofa: