External shower full of water

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi all
Last 2 times I've used the van, I've found that when I open the external shower on set up, the recess is full of water and has leaked a little into the rear boot. At first I thought it might be leaking a little from the actual shower, but on the second occasion I made sure that the tanks were empty when in storage. It was only a month later that we used it and it was full of mouldy water again! The van is stored outside so I am beginning to think it is taking rain water in. Anyone else have this problem?
As a side note, I am now storing under a cover so we'll see if it happens again...

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I had one of the external showers on the old van and noticed one day when I was playing around the rear cavity where the shower was installed and I noticed water in behind the shower unit. Out came the silicone after that.
I didn't think it was extremely waterproof.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I put my shower unit in on the weekend. I siliconed mine in, so it is waterproof. My csi skill would have me think that the water must be getting down the back of the top section. The front door of the unit is not sealed well but if it leaked there it is not going to get in the boot. As Brad has suggested, re silicone it and you should be right. I would see if it pulls out easily, it may have a gasket seal, but they don't always work to well.

Geoff

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Guys, thanks for your help. I should have pointed out that the main problem is that the plastic shower compartment is filling with water. It is only hen this is full that it is overflowing (via the hose cut-outs) into the interior boot section. I am more and more convinced that rain is getting past the 'door' seal and filling the shower compartment first.

Thanks again. Another warranty item...

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Is it installed upside down?

IMG_1449.JPGIMG_1450.JPG

Is it the same as my one in the image above. My hose cut outs are on the top of the unit.

Geoff

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Relgate,

If they cant fix it, the alternative is to drill two small hidden "drain" holes in the base of the door where they can't be seen.

Good luck

Rohan

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
What about leaving the door to the external shower slightly ajar when in storage till its sorted?

Just a thought :smile:

Thanks CD, It's a good idea. However, now that I suspect it is rain getting in, I would like to test the theory. Problem is it's not forecast to rain all summer! On a slightly more realistic note, I've put a cover over the van now so I suspect it won't present itself again. I'll just list it for the warranty visit.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Is it installed upside down?

View attachment 11369View attachment 11370

Is it the same as my one in the image above. My hose cut outs are on the top of the unit.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Mine is installed same as yours, it's just literally filling up to the top and then spilling over. Plus, I've travelled with it full not realising and no doubt it has splashed over in transit.

Nice looking install BTW

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Relgate,

If they cant fix it, the alternative is to drill two small hidden "drain" holes in the base of the door where they can't be seen.

Good luck

Rohan
----------------------

Water could also be coming in around the lock assembly....

I thought about drilling holes and may do so if it continues to avoid water damage, however, I'm keen for Jayco to deal with it as a warranty item.

Re the lock, it seems like too much water (volume) to be getting through the lock assembly. Now that you mention it, the lock is beginning to rust because of the water. I assume they will change that as well....

Thanks again for all your help guys. I was wondering if any one else has experienced this one. Perhaps I am the only one?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hey how can this be rain water then if you are saying it fills up with water and the flows over? The fact that water can fill up means the door is water tight.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Really water tight! The door on my unit is not a tight fit at all. Can you adjust the door lock so its not quite as tight.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hey how can this be rain water then if you are saying it fills up with water and the flows over? The fact that water can fill up means the door is water tight.

I love how your mind works Brad!!! :)

I'm guessing the water is getting in at the top of the door, but the bottom half is water tight! The door is thin plastic and may be a little warped at the top.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi @Soaring
My solution to this has been to just push the top corners of the door/flap firmly in when I close it up. This seems to stop water getting in (believe it or not!)
It hasn't been a problem since I started doing this.
If the problem recurs I will drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the door to allow water to escape.

Also, I noted it as a warranty item and made sure they had it in writing that the water had entered the van. This is to cover in case of rotting down the track.

Hope yours gets sorted/ isn't too bad.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Cheers mate. @relgate after the first trip where I had water leak into the rear boot (which happened to have the kids pillows and our towels in it!)
I figured that it would only leak internally if it had water in it when travelling.
I forgot to open the lid before setting off on Friday, but we did have some rain.
I'm going down to Clark rubber today to see what I can do about it, but if all else fails will also still a couple of drainage holes.