Expanda Weights

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
Hi all. I recently posted concerned about towing a 16.49.1 Expanda with a Santa Fe 07 diesel. We've since picked up the van and are loving the extra room.We packed conservatively for our first trip conscious of being on the edge of the Santa Fe's Limits. On the way out we stopped by a weighbridge (Tamala Park in Perth) and measured the ball weight as 147kg and the ATM as 1700 kg. 10 kg below the max, with an empty water tank! Like I said, its certainly not packed to the rafters and surprised me. It's in limits for us, just, but figured there must be heaps of people driving around overweight. The very limited Jayco weight that is. And for any sandgropers, Tamala Park weighed us for free and gave us a docket. Good value in anyones book!

Cheers!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Everyone is responsible for their own weight in the end I guess, but I did see another thread talking about police pulling people over to weigh vans just recently.

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
True, but the shock to me was how little it could carry. I don't see how you couldn't overload it on a big trip. We had an esky, pantry stocked for two days, a change of clothes and thats about it. Guess the battery would dent it too. Still, if the water tank was full, we'd be stuffed!

Earthbound

Dec 9, 2012
Ormiston, Brisbane
rjs...

I agree with you that there are probably quite a few people out there who do not realise they may be overloaded. When we bought our first van (Jayco Westport ) more than 10 years ago, I loaded up for the big lap. When we left I ran it over the weighbridge at the local tip and to my surprise found it to be well overloaded necessitating a major repack.

We now have a 16 49 3 OB (and love it!) and still find the weight needs to be very carefully monitored. The Data Plate records the Tare Wt as 1690 Kg and the ATM as 2015 Kg giving a payload of 325 kg.

I recently weighed the van when it only had on board the items one leaves onboard when in storage,ie minus food,clothes,fold up chairs and computer etc.

The van then weighed in at 1860 Kg leaving only 150 kg for clothes, food and wine.
Water wise we only carry around 10- 15lt of water in the tanks while travelling.

I would urge anyone taking delivery of a new van to run it over a weighbridge and compare the weight with the Tare Wt on the Data plate. This in my opinion would give one a better idea of the payload that can be used.

I presume the vans are weighed at the factory in which case one presumes there is no water in the plumbing system. How much does that weigh ? This would eat into your payload as well.

Another thing to bear in mind is that your insurance would be invalid with an overloaded van and now I always weigh the van on departure so if I am queried I can quote actual figures.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has a 2010 16 49 3 OB to compare Tare weights from the Data Plate.

Earthbound.:angel-87: