Expanda vs starcraft

Tracey

Apr 7, 2013
Hello

We are new to caravanning and just hired an expanda 16.49-4 for the weekend. Enjoyed it and think we will purchase a van for our 4 month trip around australia later this year. But also really like the new starcraft with 3 bunks in an L shape down the back. 2 adults, 3 kids - which would be better? Towing with a kluger so limited by weight of van. Thanks for any advice.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Personal choice is a big one here. I prefer the expanda as I have 16ft of living space plus beds and only have to tow a 16 ft van. That is our choice tough, I no now from people inthe caravan club we are in that this certainly would not be their choice. Really it is horses for courses.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Like Crackacoldie says above it really will come down to personal choice.
Both the Expanda and Starcraft models you mentioned are within the towing limits of your Kluger. With both being non shower/toilet models you will have 300kg payload on top of the tare weight.
We too have a Kluger and we are towing a 16.49-1 OB. I would say from experience you will want to get a WDH when towing with the Kluger.
How old are the 3 kids? For me I would also agree again with Crackacoldie and opt for larger living and kitchen. More space to move around and far less cramped when your a family of 5.
Let us know how you go! Good luck!

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
Tracey we also have 3 kids and we went for the 17.56ob with bunks to hold our tribe and it suits us to a T. the van will probably be to heaavy for the Kluger though. we tow with a new model Prado and it does it with ease. we have found though with all our different campers that we only sleep in it and everything else happens outside like cooking etc.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Same as the others personal choice....

For me if I was doing a 4 month trip it would be based around wether I am road stop camping for the entire time or not.

If road stop camping was the order for the day that means the expanda has to have its beds dropped down at each stop.

Not a big deal but if it can be avoided by going the starcraft my decision would be made.

We have the 17.55.5SH discovery and love the fact the beds are premade so when rest stop tripping we can just jump in and sleep with no beds needing to be put down.

But that is our personal preference!!!

Let us know how you get along with your choice and your trip as it sounds exciting :)!

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
We were looking at the same Starcraft as you, but the deal breaker was the width of the main bed, it's only a double not queen like the expandas.
i laid on the bed with my wife & we found it quite narrow & we are far from being large people. But on the plus side the main is longer then the expanda & you don't have to worry about wet canvas

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I would say the size of the main bed in the Starcraft is a king single at best and is a deal breaker for me. I was interested in the same model (but with the ensuite instead of the third bunk).

Go the disco 17.55.5SH or if its too big for you then go expanda for sure.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I agree with moto moto i went down to check out the Starcraft and the double bed is only 1 and a half pillows wide,a bit dissapointing really. Plus the curved front makes it feel smaller. As others have said its personal and good luck with your decision

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
I checked out the New Starcraft 16 with the 3 bunks at the back on the weekend and the front bed is only 4 foot wide and there is no kitchen bench, only room for the sink and the stove.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Tracy,
I noticed that you had enquired about Maccayaks 16.49-4 that's in the for sale section.
I reckon that's a good one to be looking into. Its the model you're after, you can tow it with the Kluger plus it's been very well looked after and a bonus that you don't have to waits months for a new one.

Tracey

Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for all your comments. I managed to have a look at the starcraft today and measured the bed at only 1145mm! Plus with the angled end, my husband would literally not fit there. So I think that option is out. But they suggested modifying the new 16.67-5 by removing the ensuite and putting in triple bunks instead. Any comments? i think that could really work for us as our budget is only around $30k and the lovely expandas might be beyond our reach. Thanks again.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Tracy, I just had a look at the 16.67-5 Starcraft on Jayco Facebook. Looks pretty good, and if they can convert the ensuite to triple bunks then it would defiantly work for your family.
Have they or can they give you a Tare weight for this model? Also keeping in mind any extras you will be ordering also, like air con, awning, antenna, solar.....the list is endless! You really need to get an idea because like us you are towing with a Kluger and the extras can really push up the Tare weight.
I would also be careful/cautios with any Tare weight they do quote as they would be customising the floor plan for you and maybe guesstimating as they probably haven't done it before being a new model. The last thing you want is to order a new altered Starcraft only to discover on handover that its compliance plate is beyond what you can tow.
But yes, it looks like a great option worth considering!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
As the kids get older, will the triple bunks still be suitable - how long would you keep the van for etc? I have three kids, and none of them would take the bottom one. They already bang their heads repeatedly with the double bunks... :D

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
I bypassed the expanda experience and went directly to the Starcraft (albeit a bit bigger).
nearly 12 months on and I am very happy to have a near proper bed that is out of the weather. Don't have to think about getting wet in a heavy downpour and sort of warm when the temp drops below zero (next month).
When holidaying with the family we live in the annex although having the extra 4 foot makes the annex more useable.
In the end the Starcraft suited my needs more than what the expandas offered

Tracey

Apr 7, 2013
Well we went back today and my hubby and I laid down on the bed in the starcraft 16.67-1 together and we did not fit! But jayco has offered to make us one with a bed that is a standard double size, so an extra 100mm wide. However, we also realised we didn't like the stove butting up next to the bed - could get very messy after a fry up! So we have pretty much ruled that out.

So they have also offered to do the 16.67-5 with double bunks instead of an ensuite (can't do triple after all) or a 16.51-3 with double bunks instead of an ensuite. Only real difference is one is a pop top and one is a full van. They are making it sound like we might be able to do this for around $35-40k. This includes options like 150L fridge, awning, oven, roof air, drop jacks, under slung, battery, pre-wired for solar and extended drawbar etc. I'm a bit worried about the weight - towing with a kluger.

now I've also got a price on an expanda, 16.49-4 OB with my options like the big fridge, oven, battery etc from another dealer who gives me the impression I could get one for just under $37k. I am not sure which way to go. Budget is creeping up! Really didn't want to make up bed every night for our youngest son but am a bit worried about the triple bunks all in a row and straydingo's comment about banging heads rings true!

so really not sure which way to go. Do these prices sound reasonable? Any thoughts or comments? Thanks again and thanks for your advice so far!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Well we went back today and my hubby and I laid down on the bed in the starcraft 16.67-1 together and we did not fit! But jayco has offered to make us one with a bed that is a standard double size, so an extra 100mm wide. However, we also realised we didn't like the stove butting up next to the bed - could get very messy after a fry up! So we have pretty much ruled that out.

So they have also offered to do the 16.67-5 with double bunks instead of an ensuite (can't do triple after all) or a 16.51-3 with double bunks instead of an ensuite. Only real difference is one is a pop top and one is a full van. They are making it sound like we might be able to do this for around $35-40k. This includes options like 150L fridge, awning, oven, roof air, drop jacks, under slung, battery, pre-wired for solar and extended drawbar etc. I'm a bit worried about the weight - towing with a kluger.

now I've also got a price on an expanda, 16.49-4 OB with my options like the big fridge, oven, battery etc from another dealer who gives me the impression I could get one for just under $37k. I am not sure which way to go. Budget is creeping up! Really didn't want to make up bed every night for our youngest son but am a bit worried about the triple bunks all in a row and straydingo's comment about banging heads rings true!

so really not sure which way to go. Do these prices sound reasonable? Any thoughts or comments? Thanks again and thanks for your advice so far!

What about the discovery 17.55.5SH?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
only looks to sleep 4, not 5 - can you convert the dining to another bed?

Certainly can :)!!!

$T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbUMzBQmNsRUY-g~~60_3.JPG