17' Series Expanda tyres

MBC004

Feb 3, 2014
hi all,

Just wanted to get your thoughts...

I have a 2016 17.56.2, delivered in November 16, the whole van has only done 600 Kim's in total, but last weekend on our first time off grid camping, we went down 6klms of unsealed road and a tyre has now got a slow leak and goes down every two days

I have called my local jayco they don't want to know anything, the dealer I bought it from said good luck and told me to call jayco, called jayco twice and have not had a return phone call.

Rim and tyre are in as new condition except for the leak, do I argue for warranty

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @MBC004,

not sure if this is of any help....

Since it is a new van, you might like to look at claiming under Jayco Roadside Assist.
There is coverage for changing the flat tyre with your spare up to a cost of $150.00.
1300 772 153

However, it seems not to cover the cost of actually repairing the flat tyre.

At least you can take the tyre and not the van in to be inspected.

IMHO, perhaps Jayco would only be responsible for fixing or replacing the tyre if it was a manufacturing defect.

If you have GTRadial tyres, you might be covered for 5 year free replacement guarantee for any manufacturing defect.
1800 722 822

regards
Mike

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know in 2012-2014 they had a few batches where the alloy rim was "porous" and they used to go flat

but

I thought they had covered all of those awhile ago
(I had mine replaced at the time...........)

Reactions: Marv_mart

MBC004

Feb 3, 2014
The tyre cannot be repaired as it leaks from the join in tread and side wall

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I know in 2012-2014 they had a few batches where the alloy rim was "porous" and they used to go flat

but

Yep, had the rims on my Expanda (2012 OB) replaced by Jayco well out of warranty so they must have known something was up.

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
You have to take it to a GT radial dealer and he will get the GT rep out to look at it. That's what I did with a bulge in one tyre. It didn't get anywhere with the rep blowing it off and the tyre dealer saying to me I wouldn't have them on anything and yet he sold them! To be fair the GT have been alright other than the bulge and have been over some ordinary roads.

Reactions: BaxnRach

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If the tyre has a puncture warranty won't cover it, just like a car it's called fair wear and tear, just take it to a tyre place and replace it as you said side wall hole not repairable and if you can get it replaced as a failure well and good but the tyres they fit are really rubbish usually, replace with something that gives a higher LR and they will last the time.

Always carry some Slime works wonders, can't patch them once you use it though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Slime makes putting a patch on a bit difficult reqires some cleaning to be done and is messy, tyre places won't like you and may say it's stuffed but the good thing about slime is that little holes like nails self seal, can have numerous hits and they will seal, you only know when the next morning you see little green spots on your tyre, big holes that stuff the tyre won't get sealed.
You can still whack a plug in the larger holes no problem and while they say these plugs should be replaced with a proper tyre patch I have run them for the rest of the tyres life with no drama but you do need to know what to look for.

Ran it in the RAAF truck out bush and by the green dots sometimes would have had to change quite a few tyres and repair them but the goop saved me a lot of work. When out bush would change and repair your own tyres.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
If the tyre has a manufacturing defect, then it should be replaced under warranty.

The issue is, did it have a fault, or did it just get damaged on the dirt road.

With the amount of effort and angst you're going to have trying to find someone who will even look at it, and then determine what has caused it, its going to be easier to just get a new one.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide

but

Ditto
It seems like it's not the tyre but maybe the rim is not sealing against the tyre properly.
If not rim damage then the sealing edge of the tyre is faulty or damaged.
Did you go over a very bad road that may have caused this?
What I did was change to spare and take faulty rim/tyre to Jayco dealer for them to test.
It was one of the batch that were faulty and they exchanged it for me for nix.
Otherwise suggest you take it to a tyre place and they refit the tyre and test for leaks to ascertain the exact problem.
Marv

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The tyre cannot be repaired as it leaks from the join in tread and side wall

Since it leaks from as stated sidewall near tread then it is road damage....nothing to do with the rim seal..................new tyre, old tyre all are susceptable to staking, age is of no matter and warranty won't touch it unless the tread has lifted or similar with no sign of other damage which could cause it, so just replace it...................slow leak, means pin hole and that is a road caused puncture.

Reactions: dagree

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
My experience is that the standard tyres are rubbish - I know that you can get a puncture anywhere but I haven't had a car puncture in probably 200,000km + but get a puncture with one caravan tyre in under 10,000km and another has got a bald spot with no tread.
I did try to plug the puncture but with only partial success. Drops air until about 35psi then holds at that level - can't visibly see any leak. It's now the spare.
Waiting until the others are a bit more worn then can justify replacing all with LT tyres and maybe changing wheels from 14 to 15"
At least compared to the car tyres, event branded tyres are fairly cheap for the size and rating required

MBC004

Feb 3, 2014
So jayco called today and sent me to the tire manufacturer his words, and I quote " you were driving so nothing can be done"

I believe I am pushing the crap up a bloody big hill really

Attachments

• IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    897.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    913.2 KB · Views: 251

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep its just a normal puncture, throw it in the bin...................plugging won't work as it will just open up and could unravel the tread layers.