16' Series Expanda Service

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Hi All
I have booked our Expanda in for the first service.

Just wondering what they do for $445. Seems very expensive but want to retain the warranty.

They also have the van for a week.

What do other people do?

Cheers

Reactions: mikerezny

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @MarkAW,
I assume you are referring to the 3-month service.
I was also surprised at this unexpected cost after we took delivery of a new Jayco Penguin. The 'service' seemed to me to be mostly fixing up all the manufacturing problems rather then doing a service.
i.e. Check fridge operation: If it is not operating then it would be a warranty repair.

I raised a similar question in a thread last year and there might be some information there that may be useful to you:

http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/cost-of-jayco-first-service-at-three-months.9537/

Our Penguin is single axle and the 3-month service was $270.00. Although I didn't like it, I just bit the bullet and got it done.
If and when I buy another van, I will be making sure that a FREE 3-month service is included in the deal or there won't be a deal.

11 months later and I am still annoyed at what I think is a rip-off.

The 12-month service is coming up in November, but I am ok with it. It costs $370.00.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Papa Whiskey

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Mike, i agree with you, sounds like a rort but for piece of mind with the warranty will just cough up the $445. Future services i'll most likely do myself - bearings, brakes are the main service items i think.

Reactions: mikerezny

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Mike, i agree with you, sounds like a rort but for piece of mind with the warranty will just cough up the $445. Future services i'll most likely do myself - bearings, brakes are the main service items i think.
Hi @MarkAW,
same here. After the 12 month service, the Penguin is out of warranty and I will, most likely, do all my own servicing.

That will bring back a few memories. In the 60s, I was fixing my Kombi van, FJ, and FC holdens. This included front wheel bearings and drum brakes. I stand to be corrected, but I don't think that the technology of leaf springs and stub axles has changed!!!

Besides, my next door neighbour is a retired railway fitter and turner and there is almost nothing in maintaining early model falcons that he doesn't know about. So it will be quite fun getting together to do a 24-month service.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Papa Whiskey

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
Here is another anomaly..... first service at Jayco dealership approximately $400, first service at local Yayco authorised repairer approximately $200! I have used the local guy on my previous van and he did fantastic work. Seems like Jayco dealerships just want to get a few extra dollars from us.

Guess who I will be using for my first service when my new Panda eventually arrives?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I also don’t like paying the high service charge but my van is nearly three years old and has a problem in the internal roof. I contacted Jayco and they said to take it back to the dealer I bought it from, get them to send photos and copies of receipts for services for three months, first and second years which I figure is to allow it to be fixed under warranty. I have sent all the required info and am waiting for a response. Without receipts there would be no chance.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think a Caravan Service Centre would show more care than most dealers I have heard about, charge a more reasonable fee and do a better job to keep the business, probably get far less warranty problems anyway with them....The fee's I have seen are a bit over the top for just rudamentry checks.........