Expanda Insurance - which policy and how much?

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
Hi everyone

As we are collecting our Expanda this weekend, I am trying to work out insurance to cover it. Which insurance agencies have people used to insure their vans and how much did you pay. We would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
We collect our van soon (17.56-1) and have got some quotes from AAMI, CGU, CIL and about to get one from RACV (similar to NRMA but in Vic), which we currently have 2 cars and a house insured with them (so hoping for a good multi-policy discount).
To date, CIL are the cheapest (by almost $150-200/year) and seem to have quite a good policy but we still need to have a good look through all of them and make a decision in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck...

Dave

Micky

Jul 15, 2011
Callala Bay NSW
Fair-Dinkum - we have our 14.44.2 insured with CIL - that was for $35000.00 for the van plus $5000.00 Contents cover over and above their standard $1000.00 coverage. From memory (I don't have the policy handy right now) cost was around $640.00 odd. Cheers

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I was going to go with CIL myself when I got the new van a couple of years ago but I rang NRMA at that time and the qoute was a little bit more but NRMA offered a 2 year new for new replacement if the van was ridden off not a pay out based on market value.

To me this was perfect as Jayco's increase in cost yearly and so do accessories.

CIL has recently changed there policy to compete with NRMA and they now offer a two year replacement but previously they where a one year replacment offer. However we have not switched to CIL as we get a better multi policy discount (greenslips etc) and if the car is in the same accident as the van then we only pay one excess and both are covered.

Much of a muchness but I would think CIL is the major competetor and have changed alot to compete with the likes of NRMA etc.....

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
We ended up with CIL mainly because of the 2 year new replacement offered. RACQ was about $200 cheaper with discounts etc. but market value replacement only. We will probably stick with cil for two years and then switch

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
We had our Eagle with CIL and will stay with them for the Expanda, although I haven't got a quote yet.
Reasons for chosing them;

Agreed value, they cover accidental damage and they would agree a value for the contents cover where as many other insurers would only cover $500 of contents and that doesn't even come close to covering our 2 laptops!!

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
Thanks everyone. We insured our last van (Jayco Destiny OB) with RACQ, but have found that our bank (Heritage Building Society) can offer us a much cheaper price with more inclusions. All up we will pay $522 for a year.

Now it's off to pick up the van!!!:whoo:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
CIL charge us $362 for an Eagle. When 17.56-2 expanda comes in Santas Bag, this will increase to $561.

$200 more to cover a van worth $25000 more - seems reasonable.

All insurabce companies good at giving low premiums and taking your hard earned, but real test is when claim time comes around. Anyone been unfortunate enough to have to claim with CIL? Where they OK?

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Got quotes yesterday for the 17.56.1 we are picking up on Thursday.

CIL $553, GIO $841. Sort of couldn't be bothered getting more quotes after that, seems CIL, being van specific, are generally much better than the rest.

Although, judging by the comments above, you might get lucky with someone else if you have a few other insurance policies with them.
(I do with GIO but the above quote shows how well they reward customer loyalty!!)

Cheers,

Stew

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
Big difference in price Stew. I had our last van with CIL and I reckon the new one will go with them too.

Might see you in a park somewhere one day (we are from Vic too) and compare vans over a few frothies!! Actually don't worry about comparing vans they are the same - we'll just have the frothies!

Sinko

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
When shopping around for the Swan, CIL was a couple hundred more than AAMI, with whom we have everything else insured.
This time: AAMI - $536, CIL $563.
For the sake of less than $30, I'll go with CIL as they have a better policy.

Andrew

Stew: exactly why I got away from GIO years ago - looks like they haven't improved any!!

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Actually don't worry about comparing vans they are the same - we'll just have the frothies!

Sinko

Now that sounds like a very good plan!! :)

Actually be doing a shakedown trip this weekend. Nagambie is looking good, based on other comments.
But looking at the forecast I think we won't need to test the fridge, outside the van will probably be colder!!!

Stew

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
We got a quote for our 17-56-2
CIL is owned by Suncorp but CIL inclusions are a lot better.
CIL includes a 2 year replacement old for new (Suncorp don't) CIL wanted $783. I also got a price from Heritage bank (which also include 2 yr replacement) $567 and you can pay by the month NO extra charge. So like Fair Dinkum we will be going with Heritage Buiding Society which include automatic $1000 for contants.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
If I remember right there was a problem with CIL covering annex's and expandas/camper trailers a while back.
something about canvas ends anyway lots of people went to someone else.
might be worth googleing

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Just a bit of an update regarding Van insurance. I was at my local Jayco dealer the otherday talking to the service manager and got into a discussion about insurance claims regarding damage vans in an accident.

He said the best insurance company that they deal with is CIL and they settle there claims quickly and without to much hassle, compared to some other companies.
This was good to hear as ours is insured with them and fortunately we have never had to make a claim and touch wood we should never have too.

I didnt discuss with him the theft side of insurance just the accident claims.

Edit: I have no affiliation with CIL but thought I would pass on this discussion I had. :yo: