Expanda featured in Sept issue of Caravan World

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
We just got our September issue (No 493) of the Caravan World and to our delight:biggrin:the Expanda is on the front cover and the feature in this months edition.

The main article is about " Jayco's Expanda VS The Kimberley" & they even used a Nissan Pathfinder as the towing rigg so for those of us who have the Pathfinder we get a bit of a write up on the car as well.:second:

Check it out!

Reactions: FiveInAVan

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
The main article is about " Jayco's Expanda VS The Kimberley" & they even used a Nissan Pathfinder as the towing rigg so for those of us who have the Pathfinder we get a bit of a write up on the car as well.:second:

Check it out!

Very cool, have to check it out. If the Pathy is 2nd best whats first?...... The Patrol:biggrin1:

Reactions: NissPat

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Just bought and read the Magazine article and the Expanda sure does get a great report. It basically hadc the same problems as ours did on the Ood trk with broken fittings yet nothing inside rattled loose.

One thing I found interesting was that in the report about the Pathy that Nissan recommends not using a WDH on it :confused: because of the rear independant suspension. Overall though it sounds like it handled everthing thrown at it.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I don't think it is the IRS causing Nissan not recommending WDH. The Nissan tow bar can snap off :yell: on the earlier models due to a don't be rude design. We opted for a heyman reese towbar on our pathy so we can use the WDH. Towed without and now with and they are worth every cent. Made a big difference....

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
Just bought and read the Magazine article and the Expanda sure does get a great report. It basically hadc the same problems as ours did on the Ood trk with broken fittings yet nothing inside rattled loose.

One thing I found interesting was that in the report about the Pathy that Nissan recommends not using a WDH on it :confused: because of the rear independant suspension. Overall though it sounds like it handled everthing thrown at it.

Cruza,

It's not the suspension that is the problem with the Pathfinder, it's the towbar!

The towbar is held on with a simple u shape arrangement that wraps around the rear frame and bolted with four bolts. When a WDH is fitted it puts downward pressure on the bolts and they snap!

Nissan's solution to the problem is not to redesign the towbar, but instead tell people not to use a WDH!!!

I,ve been told the answer to the problem is get a Hayman Reese bar, but too late now we have the Nissan one fitted.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I don't think it is the IRS causing Nissan not recommending WDH. The Nissan tow bar can snap off :yell: on the earlier models due to a don't be rude design. We opted for a heyman reese towbar on our pathy so we can use the WDH. Towed without and now with and they are worth every cent. Made a big difference....

Cruza,

It's not the suspension that is the problem with the Pathfinder, it's the towbar!

The towbar is held on with a simple u shape arrangement that wraps around the rear frame and bolted with four bolts. When a WDH is fitted it puts downward pressure on the bolts and they snap!

Nissan's solution to the problem is not to redesign the towbar, but instead tell people not to use a WDH!!!

I,ve been told the answer to the problem is get a Hayman Reese bar, but too late now we have the Nissan one fitted.

Thanks for clearing that up as I really like the Pathfinders and there seems to be a lot more on the road too. :tea: I remember when I had my previous 4X4 which was a MK (2000mdl) Triton that the tow ball weight was higher with a HR towbar because the genuine towbar only had a 40mm receiver not a 50mm :wacko: