16' Series Expanda 2004 Roof Sinking

Ando

Apr 23, 2014
Hi everyone, we have had a 2004 Expanda for 4years now and love it. But recently have noticed that after periods of rain the roof holds water. Upon inspection have then noticed that the roof is developing a dip / sinking. This means that after rain periods we need to lower one end to empty the roof. Not Ideal!

Has anyône else experienced this before or have any thoughts on rectifying this issue. My concern being the roof developing leaks and ultimately caving in!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Dont know to what extent you mean by sinking, but most poptops pool some water on the roof due to poor roof design, there's a lip all way round that prevents it running off.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
How deep ???? mine pools a small bit but as I set my van so the shower drains easily I find my roof drains well to the left hand rear,........if your getting more than 10mm it certainly needs investigating.

Ando

Apr 23, 2014
@Bushman , by sinking I mean the middle is lower than the outsides. @Drover yeah it is getting way more than 10ml, when lowering to let the water run off it is very heavy.

Not sure how the roof on the 2004 Expanda is constructed so not sure if there is any way to fix if needed or whether I would need to replace the roof. I would be assuming replacing the roof would be quite costly....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have any vents remove and have a look, on my 09 it's an alloy outerframe with what I assume timber cross members as I noticed when doing a roof hatch repair.
Is the inside bowed ?
Removal and deconstruct needed more than likely, be interesting project.

Ando

Apr 23, 2014
Yeah the inside seems a bit bowed as well. There are no vents in the roof only the roof lights. I think i am going to need to deconstruct the roof somehow.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Lift the whole thing off, if similar to mine I think you will find a few rivets to drill out around the corner sections after removing trims and it will probably come apart like an alloy screen door.................................after digging away a ton of silastic as well.......................but I'm just guessing someone here has possibly pulled one apart..........but if you do, don't forget the pics..

Reactions: dagree

Ando

Apr 23, 2014
Will speak to Jayco to see what they say. Just looking today and am wondering if I put some vertical props from the floor to the roof when the roof is lowered it may bend the roof back the other way?......??? Will keep you posted.