16' Series Electrical

Chrisand Susan

Apr 2, 2017
Victoria
Hi all
This my second post with my first one solved so thank you
I bought my expandable second hand, it has provision for a battery but one was not fitted, I cannot see if there is a charger fitted as all the wires go into the box for power which is sealed, there are only 2 wires to the battery red and black, I am assuming this is an addition and not standard so there is no charger. How can I I tell ?

2010 Expanda outback 16.49.1

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If you have a Setec unit fitted this will charge your battery. The Setec will manage your 240V and 12V systems.
Google Setec to find more info and a photo to see if you have one.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Pics will help ......................... the red and black wires are suss as Jayco usually use white and black for 12v power.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well it has a Setek fitted which runs your turns your 240v mains into 12v for your lights and stuff......I would have a look in your pile of booklets that should be in a folder and there should be a manual on the Setek if not just Google it, it will show you the wiring for it and how to pull the unit out so you can check the connections....
If you dig around under the seats, bed/cupboard you may find a spot with some wires going no where and that may be where the battery should be.
Of course disconnect the 240v before digging around the Setek......they have a terminal for connecting to batteries and this will trickle charge them while on 240v, the others supply 12v to your lights and stuff.
Always good to check all the connections as a few I have looked at have had terrible connections, some have just come apart at a touch.

Chrisand Susan

Apr 2, 2017
Victoria
Well it has a Setek fitted which runs your turns your 240v mains into 12v for your lights and stuff......I would have a look in your pile of booklets that should be in a folder and there should be a manual on the Setek if not just Google it, it will show you the wiring for it and how to pull the unit out so you can check the connections....
If you dig around under the seats, bed/cupboard you may find a spot with some wires going no where and that may be where the battery should be.
Of course disconnect the 240v before digging around the Setek......they have a terminal for connecting to batteries and this will trickle charge them while on 240v, the others supply 12v to your lights and stuff.
Always good to check all the connections as a few I have looked at have had terrible connections, some have just come apart at a touch.
Thanks for the advice, there is a battery box present which the sales guy at Jayco said there is provision for a bettery just no battery, and it has the terminals ready to connect, I will however ensure all my connections are done correctly before hooking it all up.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well that will make it easy then, just get a GEL or AGM deep cycle battery of at least a 100ah and your good to go, I would check the leads though just to mak esure....You will also find a battery switch usually near the Setek, it may be disguised as a light switch, you will need to have this switched on to charge the battery when plugged into 240v and to operate 12v stuff when not plugged into 240v.
Do not use a wet deep cycle battery, it is okay for mounting outside but not inside, gasses given off are a tad flammable, toxic and corrosive...

Chrisand Susan

Apr 2, 2017
Victoria
Well that will make it easy then, just get a GEL or AGM deep cycle battery of at least a 100ah and your good to go, I would check the leads though just to mak esure....You will also find a battery switch usually near the Setek, it may be disguised as a light switch, you will need to have this switched on to charge the battery when plugged into 240v and to operate 12v stuff when not plugged into 240v.
Do not use a wet deep cycle battery, it is okay for mounting outside but not inside, gasses given off are a tad flammable, toxic and corrosive...
Battery switch is there thanks very much for the help

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and if weight worries you just leave some water behind....................................battery should be around the 25 to 30kg.

Before you get inundated with all sorts of info some good some mythical have a read of this very informative run down on 12v stuff relating to batteries and vans...https://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/help-12v-battery-size.php

Last edited:

Chrisand Susan

Apr 2, 2017
Victoria
and if weight worries you just leave some water behind....................................battery should be around the 25 to 30kg.

Before you get inundated with all sorts of info some good some mythical have a read of this very informative run down on 12v stuff relating to batteries and vans...https://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/help-12v-battery-size.php
Interesting and informative read, thankyou for that link, and thanks for all the advice and help.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover