16' Series Electric brakes query

Murray Phyland

Sep 7, 2015
Victoria
hi
I have recently purchased a 2010 expanda and have also purchased a new car . The can has a 12 point plug and an Anderson plug.
My car has a 7 point plug. Tomorrow the car plug is being changed . Do I need both a 12 pin plug and an Anderson plug?
Cheers
Muz

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Anderson plug will be wired to either the onboard fridge or battery. electric brakes will go to pin 5 of your plug (7 or 12pin) you will need an electric brake controller fitted to the car if you do not already have one.

If you want to hook up the Anderson plug you will need to run a heavy cable from car battery (or aux battery) via isolator (or similar) direct to Anderson plug on the car. This is not 100% needed but fridge or van battery (whatever is hooked up to the van Anderson) won't get power while you drive, no real biggy but I run an Anderson to the fridge in my setup.

Another option is work out what the Anderson plug is running and take it out and run the wires back to the 12 pin not ideal as Anderson is the better way to run high current through verses the smaller pins in the 12 pin.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Without knowing what the Anderson plug is connected to, and what equipment you have in the van, it's difficult to give an exact answer. Everyone will also have their own idea on what is best. For example, I removed the 12 pin plug on my van, and fitted a 7 pin large round (3 other trailers have this connection) plus 2 Anderson plugs. 1 Anderson plug for the fridge, and the other feeding the charging unit, ESC brakes, and the Brakeaway unit. The 7 pin round only feeds the rear lights, and the electric brake. Others will now give completely different opinions!!!

Reactions: dagree

Murray Phyland

Sep 7, 2015
Victoria
Anderson plug will be wired to either the onboard fridge or battery. electric brakes will go to pin 5 of your plug (7 or 12pin) you will need an electric brake controller fitted to the car if you do not already have one.

If you want to hook up the Anderson plug you will need to run a heavy cable from car battery (or aux battery) via isolator (or similar) direct to Anderson plug on the car. This is not 100% needed but fridge or van battery (whatever is hooked up to the van Anderson) won't get power while you drive, no real biggy but I run an Anderson to the fridge in my setup.

Another option is work out what the Anderson plug is running and take it out and run the wires back to the 12 pin not ideal as Anderson is the better way to run high current through verses the smaller pins in the 12 pin.
Thankyou so much. Very helpful

Murray Phyland

Sep 7, 2015
Victoria
Without knowing what the Anderson plug is connected to, and what equipment you have in the van, it's difficult to give an exact answer. Everyone will also have their own idea on what is best. For example, I removed the 12 pin plug on my van, and fitted a 7 pin large round (3 other trailers have this connection) plus 2 Anderson plugs. 1 Anderson plug for the fridge, and the other feeding the charging unit, ESC brakes, and the Brakeaway unit. The 7 pin round only feeds the rear lights, and the electric brake. Others will now give completely different opinions!!!
Thankyou . Much appreciated

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Depending if the Anderson plug is wired to the battery or the fridge.

If wired to the fridge, you may not even need a 12 pin on the tug, as the 12 pin will plug into the 7 pin.

If the Anderson is wired to the battery, the fridge will most likely be wired to the 12 pin, in which case you will need the 12 pin both ends, and go with @JT76 info as above.

Murray Phyland

Sep 7, 2015
Victoria
Depending if the Anderson plug is wired to the battery or the fridge.

If wired to the fridge, you may not even need a 12 pin on the tug, as the 12 pin will plug into the 7 pin.

If the Anderson is wired to the battery, the fridge will most likely be wired to the 12 pin, in which case you will need the 12 pin both ends, and go with @JT76 info as above.
Thankyou Much appreciated.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day, you first need to find out what the Anderson plug is connected to. Whatever it is, battery or fridge, I would leave it connected and get a heavy duty cable run from your car battery to another Anderson plug beside your existing plug, just remember you will need a cutout relay if it is hooked to the fridge otherwise you will flatten your car battery when you stop for lunch.

You will need to put a 12 pin socket on your car as the 12 pin plug on the van will NOT fit into a 7 pin socket, (a 7 pin plug will go into a 12 pin socket), or you will have to rewire the van 12 pin to a 7 pin to match the car.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDS69 and Rockape
Apr 6, 2015
mt barker sa
I had the same thing when i bought my 2012 expanda. And did not have a 12 pin plug on my car. I removed the 12 pin from the van and fit a normal 7 pin to getvthe van home. The 2 6mm wires where for the 150l fridge so once i got home i connected the up using an anderdon plug. Not sure if that helps but that was my experience.

Reactions: Jamcor