Dual 9kg cylinders banned on caravans

Finny

Feb 12, 2013
Mackay
Hey guys, does any one know if dual gas bottles on caravans are banned, at least in Qld?

I take delivery of a 17.56-2 OB 2013 expanda first week in April and my dealer just informs me that there is only one gas bottle due to some new law.

Sounds sus to me as I do not find any reference on the net. Can any offer any comments.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday Finny and welcome, what does your contract say, pretty sure its detailed in that???? Our contract stated "2 x 9kg gas bottles filled".

Do you have the 3 way fridge, gas hotplate and the gas/ electric HWS, this would warrant the 2 gas bottles. Pace.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, Finny. I think someone may be having a lend of you, mate. What would be the difference with one or two gas bottles on a van? I have two on mine, although they are in a front boot and not on the draw bar. Ask the dealer to show you a copy of the relevant law.

Jayco fit two gas bottles as standard if you have a hot water system installed for a shower, but if you specificaslly ordered two there would be no reason for them not to fit a second one. Maybe your dealer just forgot to order it and is trying to squirm out .

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Mine only has 1 gas bottle fitted and it has a gas/electric hot water system and external shower, I was told by the dealer that 2 gas bottles are standard with the inside shower not outside shower.

Finny

Feb 12, 2013
Mackay
thanks for the comments guys. In my contract it states 2 gas bottles, i.e. standard with internal shower, 150L fridge, etc. however they only informed me this week that Jayco are not fitting them any more to caravans due to new Legislation. He as also told me that the LED lights will not be fitted due to them not being standard on the 2013, however I read on this forum that someone with an earlier delivery then mine has them as standard.
By the way I have ordered a 17.56-2 OB.

Thanks
Finny

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
Call the Govt Dept in QLD that looks after the rules in that State and ask.

http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/home

Geoff

I would probably ring Jayco head office and ask them directly as well. I have called a couple of times about different things and have always found them helpful.

I also have not heard anything about this, not that that means anything, and I too have 2 x 9kg bottles on the drawbar. With our government at the moment nothing would surprise me though.

Finny

Feb 12, 2013
Mackay
Sorry for the confusion guys but my wife passed this message on to me from the dealer. It is not the double gas bottles but the double external outlets that they are refusing to do. They will only do one external outlet on the A Frame, nothing on the rear of the van.

I am apparently getting a credit back on my order.

Sorry for the confusion guys but my wife passed this message on to me from the dealer. It is not the double gas bottles but the double external outlets that they are refusing to do. They will only do one external outlet on the A Frame, nothing on the rear of the van.

I am apparently getting a credit back on my order.

I was told the same thing, but I suspect that the Dealer may be able to do it.....

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
This has come up before, must be a Queensland thing. Maybe they are worried about pipe sizing? I am going to put a third one on mine!!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Finny,

This sounds like so many other stories others on the forum have experioenced - "Sorry, can't fit 2nd external gas bayonet due to changed regulations"

Do a search - you will find the threads.

Suggest you call Jayco and have them provide you with the regulation that has changed or call the appropriate gov. dept. that can confirm this regulation. Otherwise, press your dealer to have the 2nd gas bayonet fitted whether as a result of Jayco not fitting it o forgetting to fit it at the factory and feeding you this line.

We got our 17.56-2 delivered at end of Aug 2012 and on pre-delivery inspection I noticed only 1 or 2 bayonets fitted. Dealer noted it and had the 2nd one fitted as per contract - no questions and no excuses.

Yes we live in Vic, but I would suggest that Jayco quite often only fit one whe you are ordered and the provide the standard reason of "changed regulations".

Others in Vic, NSW and Qld have all been fed this line, but neither Jayco or dealers appear to have provided any documentation of the changed regulation/s.

We have used both bayonets - great to have them fitted at each end of the van as it provides great options for placing the BBQ on windy days.

Good Luck,

Rohan

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Finny - I was told the same - the factory will only fit one bayonet to my 17.56-2OB... I'm in QLD too and think it's load of BS.

I specified they fit my gas bayonet it at the rear to take care of the longer run and I will then get an additional bayonet put up the front which will be easier and cheaper to install.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
It would be good if Jayco got this sorted, like Ro said, allot of discussion last year on this subject. Ours was a September 2012 delivery and had 2 fitted, like I said before I think it depends on which dealer and who you speak to.....doesn't seem to be any uniform decision/answer on this!

Finny

Feb 12, 2013
Mackay
I have contacted Jayco factory and they directed me to write down my concerns and forward them through- expecting reply by Friday. I will let you guys know the outcome.

For a company flat out trying to keep up with demand they do seem to take an interest in the little client. Time will tell if it is genuine concern!!!

Hit the road

Oct 25, 2012
Frankston Vic
well we got the new van last week and you wouldn't believe it, after telling me they would only fit the front bayonet, not the rear one
they have actually fitted one bayonet only but to the rear!
None on the front at all, which is where it should have been if they could only supply one.
Not sure what to do now???