Dometic B2200 Roof Top Air

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
This thread is for discussion on the pro's and con's of optioning up to the Dometic B2200 Roof Top Air conditioner.

Please discuss, add any photos or information for this aircon unit.

Picture of the B2200 installed on the 17.56.2

100_1478.JPG

Picture of the included remote control with the B2200

dometic_b2200-remote.jpg

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi all just an update, thought I would mention we tested the roof top air unit on the weekend on heat setting (no cold).

Few points,

1) It's noisy on any setting above 2, very noisy to the point where its uncomfortable. It's not that it vibrates just the fans are very powerfull which in turn makes it more noisy as it moves alot of air. This would be good when its hot as it will cool down quickly but for heating at night it can be a bit over the top.

2) Not sure how the heating works on it but it seems the heating function it sucks cold air in, heats it up and spews it back out. Not sure on how a heron works but when I put my hand in front of the air vents on the Dometic B2200 unit the air temp was warmish but on the Heron Q 2.2 it was hot. The van did heat up over a period of time but took a little while. Still worked a treat but you had to jam the fan up high to get it to go quickly so it was a tad annoying.

I am going to give Dometic / the dealer a buzz this morning and question the heating ability on the unit. Again have not tried cooling but this is my finding on the heating bit.

I still prefer the unit to the heron though! :)

Lujo

Oct 14, 2010
Southern Riverina
Expanda
Interested in your thoughts, how about a photo or two of the AC and larger fridge
I am considering a Honda EU 20i
In relation to the Air conditioners, has anyone got an idea of what size gererator would be required to run them.

Cheers
Lujo

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey Lujo, I added a photo of the B2200....

In relation to the generator Dometic advise they can be run from there own brand of generators as follows -

Dometic T 2500 H

http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Generators/Products/?productdataid=88977

Dometic TEC 29

http://www.dometic.com/ennz/Asia-Pa...avan/Generators/Products/?productdataid=88965

Dometic TEC 30

http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Generators/Products/?productdataid=90130

In relation to the fridge there is a picture here of it installed!

100_1442.JPG

Davetouring

Oct 14, 2010
Is this a photo of the B2200, isn't it suppose to have 2 LED lights on the ceiling unit as well?

Does it have a remote control?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey Davetouring, have you decided what you are doing with your one?

In relation to your questions yes the picture is of B2200 and it does have LED lights.

From memory which is rather short :) it has four one in each corner but they are hidden under the plastic and controlled by the remote as required.

It also does have a remote control which I have added a photo to the first post of the remote.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Gday Mick, response from Dometic / Dealer is the unit just reheats the air in the van via a 1200 watt heating element.

Which as you have pointed out is crap :). It takes the chill out of the air and warms it up a bit but you would really be better of with a fan blown heater.

The Heron is exactly the same as this just blows the heat through an element. Mine old heron did seems warmer but could be imagination?

Got the first service booked in for December so they said they will check it over and just verify its installed correctly.

I have not tried the cooling yet but will have a go at that shortly.

How is your cooling Mick?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey Mick, cooling should be fine (at least I hope :) ) it has a proper air con unit setup for the cooling so should be pretty right!

I had a heron with the same specs and it cooled the van down right quick on 30+ plus days up at Hervey so fingers crossed she will be right! :)

Once I get a chance to use the van I will try it out!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Has anyone with a b2200 had trouble with it tripping the Ecb switch? Or is it just us?
No "touches wood" is that on cooling? Usually means the compressor is seized? There used to be an old trick with window rattlers were you wood put a piece of 4x2 hardwood against the compressor itself and give it a whack with a hammer. Often get them running again for a while, but ultimately they would go again.