Domestic Split system a/c??

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
Hello Expanda people!!
Just sold an Eagle Outback and now working on specifying a 17.56.2OB.
I have been through the search function but cant find whether anyone has successfully fitted a domestic (home) type split system a/c into an epxanda. I know a number of 'full van' people who have done this but not in an expanda.
My preference would be to buy the expanda without any air from Jayco and do this myself but I cant find a head unit that will fit nicely anywhere in the expanda.
Anyone done it? Any advice appreciated.
regards
John

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi bugeye,
We don't have our van yet, so can't give you practical advice only an opinion. Sounds like hard work to me, the install would be tricky with running gas lines into the van. Also positioning the compressor unit would be a pain. You would need to manufacture a frame to hold it on the draw bar or back bumper, then you would need to consider weight distribution. My other comment would be around aesthetics, the outside compressor would look a bit ordinary, on a very nice looking van. I reckon save yourself the headache and go with factory. Then again others may have done it, and it's worked out fantastically, then my opinion is rubbish....:D

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi bugeye, just curious as to why you want to do this, could it be cost? There are few reverse cycle aircons on the market for vans and they look good too, dearer then domestic I know but they work well. My opinion only but after spending your hard earned on a brand new van and then cut into it to install a aircon that would look a bit odd and made for a house I'd spend the extra and get factory fitted, I could understand if it was a 10 year old van. Also as mentioned the power draw might be an issue. Anyway each to their own I guess. Good luck with whatever you do and welcome to the site!

Cheers.

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
Thanks all for opinions.. always happy to collect them and consider them.
Domestic inverter splits are MUCH more efficient electrically and generally cooling / heating power level equated are quieter and smoother. If I was getting a 'standard caravan' (which I dont want!) it would be easy. I know people who have done this very successfully ... hence I was wondering if anyone here had found a model that worked space wise... in the expanda.
Any more experiences or comments appreciated.
cheers
John

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi John, All I can say is that if you do get one and go ahead, I'd love to see some pics! Good luck!

Bugeye

Jul 26, 2012
Northside Sydney
Just to close this off. I can now confirm that currently there are no domestic split head units (as far as my research shows) that will fit neatly in the current model expanda.
cheers
John